Scottsdale Bariatric - 8 months out for RNY?

Desertflower
on 4/18/07 4:49 pm - Mesa, AZ
It seems like I have been working with Scottsdale Bariatric for months...finally get my approval for surgery and Noreen tells me that I can be scheduled in November! I was originally set for surgery LAST October, 2006, and they cancelled it because they had subitted to the wrong insurance company. I am very depressed. Has anyone out there had similar problems with the office? I really need some encouragement and suggestions. What is going there that I have to wait so long? I appreciate any ideas you can give me. I cry all the time over this. Like I am not meant to have this procedure that will save my life. Thanks. Robin
cj29
on 4/18/07 5:29 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Robin--- I do not know much about Dr B's practice, although I have heard on the boards she lost her partner and has had family emergencies to attend to so she is back logged. Have you thought about searching for other WLS Surgeons. There are alot here in the valley. Of course not the BEST like Dr SImon and I know he takes most insurance. In fact, I was approved within a couple weeks and had surgery soon after. Best of luck and please feel free to look at my profile. Let me know if you have any other questions. Carrie
Darlene X
on 4/19/07 12:23 am - Maricopa, AZ
My suggestion... Dr Juarez & Dr Fang
Desertflower
on 4/19/07 1:36 pm - Mesa, AZ
Thanks for advice. I am a Medicare patient and Dr. Juarez is one of the only Dr's besides Dr. Blackstone that I can go to. I have read on the OH site the testimonials from his other patients, and they really love him and his staff. What was your experience? I have an appointment with his office in May. Robin
Nicole W.
on 4/19/07 1:43 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Dr. Blackstone had two other surgeons with her last of last summer, but they left to take care of obligations (military and school) and she not yet found replacements. She wants to find the best and she hasn't found it. She doubled her workload and was doing 6 surgeries a day and then stopped because she was concerned about safety issues and cut back to 3-4 surgeries a day. Scottsdale Bariatric is very popular for their program. She has one of the best comprehensive programs in the valley and she is very popular because she is a great surgeon. The classes, support groups, hospital, the medical team, etc is the best. Some of the greatest success rates. Being a patient of hers, I know she is the best. Everyone thinks their surgeon is the best... but you gotta go with what you want. If you want to wait until November, it will be worth it. But if you want to get this done quickly, then go to another surgeon. A friend of mine was going to have a 10 month wait, but changed his mind and stuck with Dr. B. Good luck in your decision! ~Nicole
carolina james
on 4/19/07 6:19 am - mesa, AZ
I know how you feel. I was originally scheduled for surgery on April 10, but because of the issues with Dr. B being short staffed and family emergencies, my date got pushed back to September. I kept in contact with Noreen and I actually got my Sept. date moved up to June 6th. My advise is that if you want to stick with Dr. B (she really is worth the wait, in my opinion) keep in contact with Noreen. You never know when a slot will open up.
Desertflower
on 4/19/07 1:39 pm - Mesa, AZ
Thank you so much for writing back to me. I will keep calling Noreen. She is very nice and I know they are doing all they can to service the patients. I am just "so" ready to begin this journey...and November seems so far away. I try to stay positive BUT it is difficult somedays. Thanks again.
pwrightt
on 4/19/07 11:34 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi Robin: Most people think there surgeon is the best (unless they've had some bad complications) and everyone feels there after program is also the best. You asked for an opinion on Dr. Jurarez. I am almost 4 months post op. NO complications. Dr.Juarez is very soft spoken but he will sit there for an hour and answer every question you have. I've had 3 post op visits and every time I saw Dr.Juarez not an internn. You can also call the nutritionist (Jenal) anytime after surgery. In fact she will call you after surgery. The Baratric Center has an excellent after care program. This is going to be a very big decision that you have to make. You are the one that has to feel comfortable with your surgeon. Go to different seminars. We are very blessed to live in the PHoenix area as we have a choice of some very good surgeons. I wish you the best on your journey and with whatever doctor you choose. Pam
dgiammarino
on 4/20/07 9:02 am
Hi Robin I am the Practice Administrator as SBC. I just wanted to respond to your frustrations. We know things have been somewhat hectic, but Dr. Blackstone has been trying to compensate for a growing number of surgeons who have stopped doing bariatric surgery and are coming from all over the country to our facility for secondary care. We are currently still looking to recruit one or two surgeons, but this has been no easy task, since qualified, excellent surgeons are hard to find. We do have a new fellow starting in July who will be training directly under Dr. Blackstone. It will be a year before she is finished with her fellowship, but she will be being trained by the best. Just know, we are really working hard to make everyone happy Diane Giammarino
Desertflower
on 4/20/07 9:40 am - Mesa, AZ
Thanks, Diane for writing back to me. My frustration comes from having been scheduled LAST October for RNY surgery, but because of a mistake on the part of your office, I had to start all over again. I completed my 6 month supervised doctors program last month. Now I am told I have to wait until November. That is over a year since I was originally scheduled for surgery. I hope you can understand that this is MY life and I want the chance to live it the best possible way I can. When I attended Dr. Blackstone's seminar, almost 18 months ago, I was given hope. When my surgery was cancelled last October I was devastated, but I remained patient and optimistic. I completed my 6 months and followed my doctors advice and recomendations, only to be told I would have 8 more months to wait. Somehow this does not seem fair to me. I have only heard good things about Dr. Blackstone and your office, so I am dismayed and discouraged when I am treated with such little regard. Robin
Most Active