I think I passed out today!

tall_girl99_2000
on 4/18/07 12:58 pm - Chandler, AZ
Today, I was doing my regular routine and decided to lay down for a minute on my bed to unwind. That minute turned into 20 minutes. I knew I had to get up to prepare dinner for my family. Just as I was walking out of my bedroom door, I felt really light headed. I turned around to try to make it back to my bed and the next thing I knew I was on the hallway floor, sitting up, with a pain in my back and on my head. I can only assume that I passed out because I don't remember hitting my head or even falling for that matter. When I called out to my husband to help me up, we noticed a hole in the wall where I had hit my head. Anyway my question is this: Can my not drinking my water cause light headedness? I've been doing really good with my vitamins and my protein, but I am having a really hard time with my water. I'm lucky to get 32oz in a day.
sgirl
on 4/18/07 1:20 pm - tucson, AZ
Hi Olga, well unfortunately it is extremely possible that your lack of "watering" could be the culprit for passing out. I remember before surgery feeling very light headed and then before you knew it, I didn't know how I got on the floor. My husband took me to Urgent Care, and sure enough, I was dry. I no longer get to that point. In fact, I make sure that I have 64+ oz. of H20. I see that you are from Las Cruces, I am now living in Rio Rancho, maybe we could hook up soon. I am 10 months post-op, we could share lots of things together. 214/139/114
JRinAZ
on 4/18/07 2:04 pm - Layton, UT
Holy Cow Olga! What did your Doc say? How's your potassium levels? ....... The problem with WLS post-ops is that we have a tendency to blame every little thing that happens to our bodies on our WLS and our aftercare! Maybe you've got a flu bug or maybe you've got a serious tumor for Heaven's sake! Yes! You absolutely could get faint from being dehydrated but don't assume anything! Go see your doc! Take care of yourself sweetie pie! Joyce
tall_girl99_2000
on 4/18/07 11:23 pm - Chandler, AZ
Thanks joyce. Somehow I knew you would respond and give me the right advice.
johnb_az
on 4/18/07 11:49 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Olga, I am glad you did not hurt yourself badly. There are many things that can cause fainting. Two that come to mind are being on blood pressure meds while losing weight (this must be watched closely as your dosages must be adjusted as you drop weight) and lack of fluids. Are you on any blood pressure medications and have been losing weight? Do you check it frequently (once a week at least)? Passing out could also be to lack of enough fluids causing a low blood pressure. There is a certain way to do this to check for what you experienced. It is called orthostatic blood pressure. Go lie down for about 5 minutes, at the end of 5 minutes check your pressure and pulse. Next sit up on the side of the bed for 2 to 3 minutes and then check your blood pressure and pulse. Last stand up for 2 to 3 minutes and check it again. Make sure you record both the blood pressure and heart rate. You are looking for more than a 10 percent change. A decrease blood pressure and increase heart rate is what you're looking for. If on a medication that keeps your heart rate low you might not see that increase in heart rate with the decrease in blood pressure, but it still is the problem. Medications can cause your heart rate not to change, like beta blockers for hypertension. You can do orthostatics anytime. If you have another episode do this immediately afterwards and make sure you bring this info to your doctor. If you are on meds that block the heart rate if you get to active instead of your heart rate going up to help compensate you will start getting light headed. This is all that comes to mind first thing in the morning. Hope it gets you started in analyzing your problem. Take care, Doc http://www.myspace.com/az411
auntnanan04
on 4/19/07 2:34 am - Tucson, AZ
Olga, Joyce is right you need to call your doctor right away. I have friend who also had WLS had passed out like you. The results were that she needed a heart pace maker. It may not be this serious but go and find out. Talking to your doctor is the right thing to do!! Let us know how you are doing. Best wishes! Phyllis P.
Most Active