1 Week Post-op - Happy & Worried

Mikkilynn
on 4/16/07 9:55 am - Mesa, AZ
It's been 1 week since my surgery and I'm down 13 pounds. But I'm also concerned because I've never had the feeling of being full, my stomach is always grumbling and I'm so hungry that all I can think about is food. I've only lost the weight because I make myself stick to the 2 oz of food every two - three hours. But within 15 - 60 minutes of eating, I'm ravenous. I'm scared because I thought that this surgery was going to give me a tool to help control my eating. So far that hasn't happened, it's been sheer willpower. We all know that if I had enough willpower towards food then I wouldn't be heavy to begin with. This won't last forever. I started caving in today and I know that I ate too much. I was eating about once an hour and I'm afraid that I might stretch out my pouch. Has anyone else experienced anything similar after surgery? I'm about to start crying right now just typing this because I'm so frustrated and heartbroken. Anyway thanks for listening! Michelle
Nicole W.
on 4/16/07 10:41 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Michelle, Congrats on the 13lbs... that is awesome! Head hunger is completely normal. For a few weeks after surgery I was craving some of my favorite comfort foods... it will pass. You are probably going thru tons of emotions right now Not sure who your surgeon is, but i kept myself on 3 meals a day, no more and no snacking. I made sure I got to the point of satisfaction, not feeling full. Dr. Blackstone only wants you to eat for 20 minutes, no drinking 30 minutes before, no drinking during meals and no drinking until 30 minutes after. Majority of the time I was done after 10 minutes of eating. I experienced alot of willpower the first 4 months... I could have caved in and dug into the carbs, but I knew I would just be hurting myself in the long run. Maybe when you get that rage of hunger, go for a long walk... get your mind off the food. For my 5 weeks I spent on Short term Disability, all I did was scrapbook and watch the food network... sounds weird, but I really enjoyed it. Most people thought i was nuts watching food being prepared, but it was my way to get cravings gone. Things will get better! ~Nicole
Mikkilynn
on 4/16/07 11:01 am - Mesa, AZ
Thanks Nicole! My original surgeon was Dr Blakestone but switched to Dr Fang after my surgery date was pushed back again. Right now, I still have two more weeks of the liquid phase before I get to start the pureed phase. I know that once I'm at the next stage of my diet, I will be much better. I can pretty much eat everything except red meat and raw veggies, as long as the food is the consistency of applesauce. I think that will take care of the head hunger problem. At that point, I can eat make shift versions of my comfort foods. But I'm still concerned as to why I never feel full. It's as if the food is going straight through my pouch and into my intestines, so I don't get that feeling of fullness. I will definitely talk to Dr Fang at my next appointment about my concerns. Take care Michelle
Nicole W.
on 4/16/07 11:07 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Michelle, Don't worry too much about the full feeling... until recently I have never felt full as a post-op. It was more of a visual thing for me. Maybe start measuring your food so you know exactly what you should be eating and know when to stop. I would go batty on that menu also. Dr. B had one week of liquids, then soft proteins for 3 weeks, then soft proteins with cookies veggies until 4 months. Good Luck to you, you will do fine! ~Nicole
nicoleaz
on 4/16/07 11:50 am - Phoenix, AZ
You watched Food Network too?? Everyone thought I was totally punishing myself, but the shows were suddenly UBER interesting to me. Like...all of a sudden I took up this huge interest in preparing meals. I think it sort of comes with the territory - how we have to be more creative, mindful, and overall aware of what we put into our mouths. I suppose it makes sense that getting deep into the intricasies of a meal would be of interest. I thought I was being a weirdo for loving the Food Network! Haha ;) I totally still watch it!
JRinAZ
on 4/16/07 1:43 pm - Layton, UT
WE are some twisted sisters! I too watched the food channel while sipping protein drinks propped in my recliner!!!!! WE need a 12 step program! Oh yeah, that's what support groups are for! Joyce
JEAN-NA
on 4/16/07 11:36 pm
Michelle hang in there , Once your done with the liquids and on to more solid foods you will beging to feel full again ! Right now in the liquid stage your not going to get much to fill you up for long as it will go through your system pretty quick.. Believe us all when we say " IT WILL CHANGE !" The 13lbs loss is great ! Just dont be a scale addict like the rest of us !
Mikkilynn
on 4/17/07 2:05 am - Mesa, AZ
Thanks everyone for reassuring me that this will pass as soon as I get to the next diet phase. I hate calling it a diet phase, so how about my next healthy eating phase. I'm afraid that there is no hope in me changing into a non-scale addict. I weigh myself every morning. I have always done this, as it is a great tool in my weight loss efforts. I track my food intake and weigh myself everyday to find patterns. This has helped me tremendously in the past when I hit plateaus. I can go back to see what I've been eating lately and compare it to past days to see the difference. This allows me to make changes in my diet and start losing again. I know that this doesn't work for everyone but I find it very useful. Oh, I'm also addicted to the food network! I've tried no****ching since my surgery but just can't help it! Michelle 262/247/125
Desertflower
on 4/19/07 2:06 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hi Michelle, I haven't had my surgery yet...right now I am scheduled for RNY in Nov. with Dr. Blackstone. I am afraid that I will experience the same worries that you are having right now. I have zero willpower and I am a carb addict!!! My friend had lap-band and she is also struggling to stay away from sugar and carbs. I know that the surgery is onlya tool...but am I strong enough to follow EVERYTHING for the rest of my life? I feel hungry all the time and I am hoping it will pass after RNY. Maybe your doctor can tell you if you could have a protein drink between meals if that will help the "growlies". Please let me know how you are doing. I wish you all the best. Robin PS- I LOVE the food network, especially Paula Dean!
Linda S.
on 4/17/07 1:38 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi, I noticed you had Dr Fang also, was it at Bridges? The plan they gave me for after surgery had me either eating, or drinking all day long, exclusive of the 1/2 hr waiting periods.
Most Active