Help - I need carb's !!

schootzie
on 4/15/07 8:32 am - Mesa, AZ
Had my surgery 2/22/2007 - I'm not drinking my 64 oz. of water, or taking my vitamins - or even eating my protein!! In fact when I try and eat chicken, fish, eggs or beans - I throw up... I have always been the type of person that could only eat what I wanted when I wanted - Have left a many of restaurant because nothing on the menu looked good. Now that I am tired of trying to eat just protein - just cann't keep it down. It is easier to just not eat. I want crackers, pasta or just a crappy slice of bread. Also what's up with all the burping?? Every time I take a sip of water I start burping... I guess I should be thankful it's not gas! I am not a happy camper... this whole RNY thing has really gotten me down... I'm mean & crabby all the time - at this point my old life was better, even if I have lost almost 40 pounds. Oh ya and I also started drinking my coffee again! Liza
Nicole W.
on 4/15/07 8:51 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Liza, Well, first thing... Congrats on the 40lbs!!!! I'm not going to yell at you or anything, but DRINK YOUR WATER! It is super important. Your body needs it, even if it's in the form of herbal tea, you gotta get your water in. Probably since I was 2 months post-op I was very bad with my vitamins, but I have gotten back on track after hearing some horror stories of people who did not take their vitamins and ended up on the hospital with paralsysis and a bunch load of other problems. When I ended up in the hospital with my stricture and they started that Potassium (the banana bag, they call it) IV, it hurts like a it burns so bad when it is going thru your IV. Are you a patient of Dr. Blackstone? It sounds like you are with the lean protein diet for the next 4 months. If you are, are you bringing in cooked veggies and non-citrius fruits, it does make a big difference? She refers to this first 4 months as boot-camp... to train your brain to eat healthy and focus on the protein first. I have to stay it works and has worked for me still. I have no desire for carbs hardly... I love my protein now. I eat that first, leave the rest for later if I can fit it in. Chew, Chew, Chew... chew your food really good. That could be a reason why it is coming up, too big of bites. Burping is normal... i get the hiccups. Again maybe caused by too big of bites. Are you drinking with your meals? If so, STOP. Take some smaller sips. I was a big carb eater prior to surgery and my friend was dying for carbs one week post-op, she tried it and regretted it. She now has gotten herself into very bad habits again and is regaining her weight. Have you ruled out having a stricture (narrowing of the stoma)? If you cannot keep your food down, you may have a stricture. You might want to call your surgeon's office. Try "resting" your stoma by doing water, soft foods like yogurt, cottage cheese, protein drink for a day or two and let your pouch take a break and relax, then try foods again and see how you do. Good Luck to you... don't get too off the path, remember this is a "tool" you must use it to be successful! Try to get away from old habits and let this tool work. 40lbs is awesome, would you been able to lose 40lbs without this tool this quickly? ~Nicole
Susanbs4
on 4/15/07 11:17 am
Congratulations on the 40lbs...it is a great start...... You need to get your water in especially if you are going to drink coffee. Coffee is a diuretic and between that and not drinking your water you may become dehydrated. Try noncaffeine herbal tea...the peppermint is very soothing to my pouch when it gets grumpy. You don't want to dehydrate and need to go to the ER. Go back to basics...eat soft proteins..cottage cheese, yougert, ricotta cheese and work your way back up to other foods. CHEW and then chew somemore. Go slowly. Your vitamins are critical to your longterm good health. There are many serious complications than can occur if you don't take them. Call Dr. B's office and see the nutritionist for more ideas on what you can try to eat. It is a journey...it has many bumps...the carb desires will fade if you don't give into them. Try different protein drinks... I like the Nectar brand..they have cherry, lemonade, ice tea, cappachino....I add crystal light ( generic walmart kind) to my water for flavor. I use the SF Davinci syrups to enhance the flavors in my protein drinks. The first two months or so are the hardest ...the head hunger and your old eating habits keep trying to move in...just keep on retraining your brain...it works. I am 6mths post op and down 80lbs. I am off all of my medications ( my biggest goal) and feel terrific....ask anyone about my attitude the first month or so...I was bearly human between the changes in diet and the hormones running around....hang it in there..it is worth it.
Nicole W.
on 4/15/07 1:03 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Susan, Where do you get the Nectar brand protein drink? I wouldnt mind trying a different kind. Congrats on your 80lbs! We had surgery right around the same time. I am hitting my 6months and the end of this month and I am down almost 90lbs. Time flies when you are getting healthy! My 2-3 months with the hormones releasing, I was unbearable for a while. Have a good night! ~Nicole
JRinAZ
on 4/15/07 1:54 pm - Layton, UT
Ahhhh sweetie, It sounds like you want to throw in the towel! ....How bout checking in with your doc just to make sure all is well with your healing? Super duper big (((((((((HUGS)))))))) your way!!!! Joyce 40 piounds is awesome! You are awesome! Take care of YOU!!!
Most Active