3 Weeks after surgery and I'm eating like a pig!!! HELP

Tina31507
on 4/14/07 10:32 pm
I called my doctor to tell him that I can eat like I used to, and he said that's because they only put the band in me... there is no saline solution to tighten it until I have my first fill. I'm not gaining any weight, but I am eating more than I think I should be because I'm waiting to get "full" and it's not happening. Is this normal???? HELP????? Tina
JRinAZ
on 4/15/07 1:13 am - Layton, UT
Tina, The band is only a "tool"....if YOU are not compliant then it's not going to work for you. Try doing the recommended aftercare program of 2 to 4 oz at each meal. Do NOT drink during a meal or after a meal for at least 1 hour. If they give you a fill before your port site is healed then it could mess things up and you might have slipage. So, until you can get that restriction, then just hang on tight and do your best! You'll get that "full" feeling before you know it! Hang in there! The bands work magic on zillions of folks and you'll be one of them!!! Hugggzzz, Joyce
Stephanie W.
on 4/15/07 9:54 am - Peoria, AZ
What you are feeling is normal. It's what most people feel like 3 weeks out. That's why they call it "bandster hell." After the initial swelling from surgery went away, I could eat normally just like pre-band. Once you get your band filled a few times, you will feel restriction. It took me 3 fills before I even felt anything at all. Now I've had 5 fills. I have lost 50 pounds, and I assure you I cannot eat like I did before the band. Try to follow the band portions anyway, and start working on the head hunger thing. That's the hardest part for me. I know it's hard right now. Believe me, I know. Just try to do the best you can with portions right now. No one expects you to be perfect. You're new at this. Don't fixate on loosing weight right now. Just concentrate on healing. You'll have to trust me on this one. You will feel your band working after you start getting fills. It make take 3-5 fills and 3-5 months, but it will work for you. The band takes alot of patience. Good Luck, Stephanie
Tina31507
on 4/15/07 7:28 pm
Thank you both for your answers. And yes Stephanie, I just wanted to know if this was normal. I just tried to test out foods to see which ones I could eat and which ones I couldn't and it grew into eating foods like I was pre-band!! I thought something was wrong. I will go back to eating the planned diet now that I know I can eat whatever I want (mostly), I'd hate to have gone thru all this to have ME be the only person in the world who the band does NOT work for in the first few months! LOL Thanks again for your responses!!
Candi Y.
on 4/16/07 1:22 am - Cottonwood, AZ
Hey Tina - I am 5 weeks Post and I am having the same symptons...... I did wonderful the first 3-4 weeks and lost 21lbs, not sure what or if I have lost this week, but I am now pushing myself with portions and foods. I know it is all MENTAL cause I dont need to eat, but we have got to learn how to control that and THATS the hard part! I am going to DOc this Thursday and will be getting my first fill, I guess after reading some replys I better be ready not to expect miracles with my first fill, but I sure hope it helps a little cause for me the first few weeks seemed easy cause I did have this full feeling, but now.........But again I know alot of it is HEAD HUNGER, yesturday I felt like I ate like a pig too, but really I know it was NOTHING compared to what I use to eat, cause that stuff just NOT in my home anymore, so although I know I was bad, still wasn't as bad as I used to be by any means. Keep my EM and I will let you know how FILL goes, I think I will only get 3cc for first fill which is not much but it might be all I need, everyone is different......I'll keep you posted and I have sworn to myself that I didnt pay this amount of $$ NOT to loose weight..... So I have got to win the HEAD HUNGER battle, I won it when I quit smoking after 23 years so I know I can do it!!! Chat soon - Hang in there!
Most Active