Protein shakes

dfavre
on 4/14/07 3:12 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Hi all, Just wonderin' if there is a particular time of day that you guys drink your protien. I was taking it toward the later half of the day, but have discovered that I haven't lost a pound in 4 days. (I know, I am a scale addict... ) Anyway, I have been walkin' my tail off, but nothin' seems to work. So, I switched up to drink it first thing in the morning. Anyone have any ideas or advise? Dawn
johnb_az
on 4/15/07 12:06 am - Phoenix, AZ
I always have a protein shake/smoothie after I work out in the gym every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings. It is a meal replacement for me. I can't say if it helps me to lose weight or not. I was told that after a workout is best to help your muscles repair/replenish. Doc http://www.myspace.com/az411
tall_girl99_2000
on 4/15/07 12:10 am - Chandler, AZ
I usually have mine for my breakfast, cause I really dont feel like eating in the morning and it keeps me satisfied until lunch time. One thing I did find out though is this... try to drink it all within a 30 minute period cause supposedly the protein wears down in the drink if you don't.
JRinAZ
on 4/15/07 1:04 am - Layton, UT
Hey Dawn, Kick it up a notch and have your protein drinks THREE times a day! When you boost your protein grams to over the 100 mark each day; your energy increases and your weight starts dropping too! If you're walking you especially need to have a protein drink following your workout!!! Huggggzz to you! Joyce P.S. I"m over 4 years post-op and I have my protein drink morning and night and often in between. When I do a protein FAST; I sometimes have as many as 6 protein drinks in a day!!
dfavre
on 4/15/07 7:55 am - Maricopa, AZ
Thanks gang, I appreciate the feedback! Joyce, don't the additional calories add up though? At 200 calories a pop, I would think I need to limit them to once a day. Dawn
JRinAZ
on 4/15/07 1:27 pm - Layton, UT
200 caloies? Yikes! The highest caloric count I have in a protein drink is 120. They're mostly between 90 and 100. And....if I"m doing 4 or 5 protein drinks, then I'm only nibbling on small lean protein in those days (protein fast). But, if you're counting on "ketosis" as your losing source versus calories (like Atkins or South Beach) then you focus more on high protein grams and under 20 carbs vs. calories. Ketosis can kick a plateau out the window!!! My average day is about 200 calories from protein drink and around 1000 from food. My "trying to trim" days are around 700 to 800 calories. A good target ratio when shopping for a protein drink is: 1 SCOOP= 23 grams of protein, under 120 calories, 1 or less carb, 0 sugar whey is better than soy as it is a complete protein and Isolate is better than blended "IF" your system can tolerate isolate. (mine can't) LOSER'S Rock!!!! Joyce
johnb_az
on 4/15/07 8:20 am - Phoenix, AZ
Dawn, What about the calorie intake from 3 drinks a day? That would be like 600 calories from drinks inbetween meals for most. I could not subsitute more than one meal with a protein drink in a day. I like to chew... Doc
johnb_az
on 4/15/07 8:21 am - Phoenix, AZ
Sorry that should read Joyce on my post above. Which we could edit our posts Doc
Nicole W.
on 4/15/07 8:36 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Doc, I am the same way... I enjoy to the texture of food. I try very very hard to get all my protein in thru my food. A palm size piece of fish, chicken, steak, etc is 20grams of Protein... if I do not get in enough protein thru my food then I will use a supplement. I bought some great protein bars from Costco, they have 30grams of protein in them, I will usually have one in the morning, kinda kick starts me for the day. I am not a big fan of the shakes and it is my last resort. Remember, Blackstone's program is a bit different then most surgeon's. I have to reminding myself of what they told me to do. The dieticians are always readily available and respond to emails pretty quick! Have a good one! ~Nicole
JRinAZ
on 4/15/07 1:32 pm - Layton, UT
Doc, When you're in your official "honeymoon" phase (under 1 year post-op) then the higher protein grams is more important than the calorie count. It will keep your body healthy through all of your malaborption of food, give yiou energy, keep your losing steady, and keep your hair and nails going strong! Try and find protein drinks that are closer to the 100 calorie per scoop. Though we don't want to drink our calories; the immediate absorption of a protein drink's benefits....far outweighs the caloric issue. If anyone is losing slowly or is stalled; kicking up the protein grams combined with increase in water and exercise will work MAGIC!!! Soooooo........how's it going for ya? Are you melting away like most men???? Joyce
Most Active