questions about seeing my PCP for the first time next week about Gastric Bypass Surgery

JayeJaye
on 4/12/07 5:26 am - Fort Rucker, AL
I called Tricare and talked with a representative a few days ago about having a Gastric Bypass surgery. I told her a little of my background and she told me to make an appointment with my PCP for a consulation. If they see that I meet qualifications they will send in appropriate paperwork for insurance approval. She didn't seem to think it would be difficult to be approved. I am 33 . I weigh 260 pounds and I am 5'6. I believe I have the BMI to be preapproved. I also have battled obesity since I was in college.(for about 10 years) I called my PCP and set up and appointment for Tuesday (April 17). I am really, really terrified . I do not want to screw up anything at the appointment. I want the surgery sooo bad. I have been debating it for two years now. I know in general what to expect and what I will have to do . Can anybody out there explain what happens on the first initial visit? What should I make sure I say or not say? PLEASE, PLEASe HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!!
carolem
on 4/12/07 9:19 am - Austin , TX
Jaye, This visit should be fairly low key if it's with your PCP doctor. Your BMI sounds like it's over 40 so that shouldn't be a problem. Your doctor will probably want to see how much you know about Gastic Bypass Surgery so he knows you've done your homework. He will be the one that writes the letter to the bariatric surgeon stating the medical necessity for this procedure. Be prepared to state what all diets you've tried in the past few years. I think I had about 5 of them, but didn't have to produce any actual documentation. My insurace co. was easy though, some need medically supervised diets 6 months prior to the appoval for surgery. Relax, you would have to work hard to mess up this appointment! Relax, youve already spent 2 years preparing for this! Good luck, you'll be fine!
JEAN-NA
on 4/12/07 11:05 am
Hi Jaye You will be fine , my suggestion would be to tell them why you want to have the surgery , be prepared to discuss dieting attemps- sucess or failure, also family history - do/ did your parents have any heart disease, cancer, etc... - it all plays a part . It might sound bad - but be prepared to SELL IT to your doctor ! good Luck and let us know how you do ! have you thought of what doctor you would like to have surgery with ?
vquigley
on 4/12/07 3:56 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, Jaye, I second everything everyone has said. My surgery was covered by Tricare. I had my PCP write a letter stating the co-morbidities that I had (sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes, bad knees, etc.) and I provided him with a list of all the diets I had done over the last 30 years. Tricare approved my surgery fairly quickly. I did research gastric bypass on their website and found that they will pay for the surgery if you have a BMI over 40 and have two co-morbidities. As far as I know they will only approve the RNY but not lapband but I didn't care as long as I got something done. Also, FYI, there is only one doctor to my knowledge in the Phoenix Metro area that accepts Tricare and that is Dr. Villares. Good luck, Virginia
Most Active