Surgery Next Wed

thebitterendaz
on 4/11/07 9:54 am - Glendale, AZ
Hello everyone, Im new on here. I am anxiously awaiting my surgery next Wednesday, April 28th. I've started a pre-surgery liquid diet which is going difficult but I think I will be able to get used to it quickly. Well, just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Ian Harwell. Before I go, what kind of protein supplements do you recommend and how much do you use daily? Thanks!
carolem
on 4/11/07 10:39 am - Austin , TX
Are you having Lap-Band? We weren't required to take any protein supplements, there are protein shakes you can make, but they aren't required necissarily. My doctor would rather I not get calories that way as you can get plenty of protein from food. You should be given some kind of list of foods to eat post surgery. We were on clear liquids, (no protein shakes) for 4 days and then on to soft proteins for 5 weeks until our first fill. The soft proteins are low fat cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, turkey, chicken, fish including tuna. We could mix the tuna, chicken, and eggs, with a small amount of low fat mayonaise. Worked out pretty well. It's important during this healing period you get in at least 64 ounces of water and as far as supplements go we only take a good chewable multi such as Centrum, and come calcium. Although my husband also takes iron as well. If you follow your doctor's instructions you can't go wrong.
thebitterendaz
on 4/11/07 11:49 am - Glendale, AZ
Oh okay, thanks for the info. Yes, Im getting the lab-band. My pre-op teaching day is Saturday so all of the things I have learned have been off of message boards? Did you do any pre-op diet?
carolem
on 4/12/07 7:57 am - Austin , TX
Our doc doesn't do a pre-op diet. We were suppose to lose 10% of our excess weight prior to surgery, but only 24 hours prior were we on clear liquids. Some people lost the 10% and other's didn't.
Candi Y.
on 4/12/07 1:09 am - Cottonwood, AZ
Welcome Ian - You'll use this message board as your support group, its excellent! Which Doc is doing your Lapband? I was banded 3/14 by Doc Simpson I am down 21lbs and feeling GREAT! I am drinking a drink called Muscle Milk, it has 22 grams protein and taste GREAT! It does have alot of calories 220, but low in sugar and carbs and it is very filling so I have no problem using this as a meal. A little $$, but I get it at Sams CLub now and its not that bad, but GNC has it Frys here had it so you can try it. I tried several different kinds and just love this one! GOOD LUCK to you and keep us posted!! Take care..........
thebitterendaz
on 4/12/07 10:29 am - Glendale, AZ
Thanks Candi.. .Terry Simpson is doing mine as well... I am trying some things pre-surgery right now and I thought muscle milk was rather tasty. What else are you doing besides the muscle milk and did you get the powder or the pre-made?
Candi Y.
on 4/13/07 2:42 am - Cottonwood, AZ
Hey Ian - I get the pre-made Choc shake, YUM YUM and at Sams club it $16 for 12 pre-made 11oz drinks and I normally drink 1-2 a day depends cause they are high in calories. I like Tuna so kinda been eating that on a daily basis, prolem there is I DID NOT like Mircle whip so using very little mayo, but hey I only eat 4 freakin oz lets make it taste good, ahhhhh.. Tuna real high in protein, I also try and have an egg either scrambled or in salad (again with mayo) oops..Hope Doc not reading your posts! LOL Eggs good with protein too, So I think I'm getting good prtein in?? Not sure just started this Log thing, its great someone sent me the Website, calculates everything for us and shows us where we're at! Check it out http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Index.html Its FREE and you can start your own account, just started playing with this this AM, but looks pretty cool! Well Ian you pick the best Doc, I did a ton of research before I decided on Simpson and so far I am thrilled! I am hoping for a fill on the 19th, next Thursday cause I think I need another little BOOST!! And HEY do lots of walking, I am now able to walk almost 3 miles without pain and agony!! Try and do that at least once a day!!! Hey GOOD LUCK and use this website as your tool, its what I do cause I live about 2 hours from Phoenix and can't really get in for support groups, though I am shooting to go on May 24th to one, need to meet all these people I chat with!! Take care and we'll chat soon!!!!!! Wednesday's right around the corner! And rememeber Ian - HEAD HUNGER is still a battle, our band's don't tell our minds not to eat, wi**** did!!! Later - Candi
thebitterendaz
on 4/13/07 2:49 am - Glendale, AZ
Wow Candi thanks for all the great info!!! How soon can i eat tuna? Is there a reason why miracle whip is better than mayo ( I actually prefer miracle whip)? Thanks again for the info, Im so excited.. Tomorrow i my teaching day...
Candi Y.
on 4/17/07 2:36 pm - Cottonwood, AZ
Ian, Just checkin in..........How did class go, did skinny minny Alice teach it?? SHes a doll but geeze can you get any skinner...... Just wanted to see how you are doing, ya gotta be getting excited try and think positive going in cause our minds are a wondefull healing tool and walk....... I am looking forward to my first fill this Thursday, I for sure am puching the limits and need that little something at this point! Well GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!!! Later
Most Active