Is weight gain usual?

Mikkilynn
on 4/11/07 6:23 am - Mesa, AZ
Well, I just got back from the hospital and I gained 2.2 pounds. I find that odd since I only had maybe 50 calories the last two days and walked a whole lot in the hospital. Did anyone else experience weight gain after surgery? Everything went pretty well in the hospital. All the nurses were very pleasant, especially my night nurses. There were a few issues during my stay. I was told by the 6th flloor head nurse that if I paid extra to get a private room, my husband would be allowed to stay in the room with me and sleep in the recliner that I had also requested. Well, they took the extra bed out of my room immediately and for the next two days no one could seem to find one recliner or fold up bed in the entire hospital. So, I wasted $164.00 ($82/night) because he had no wear to sleep. My daytime nurse said that the CNA had to go find one and the nursing assistant said that was the RN's responsiblity. So needless to say, I was not very happy about wasting that much money. The only other problem was with the IV. The first time, the nurse stuck me but couldn't find a vein leaving me with a huge bruise. She then tried putting the IV in my right hand. I woke up in the middle of the night with my entire right hand and arm swollen and very painful. The swelling still hasn't gone down. Dr Fang was more talkative this time and I even made him laugh! He said that everthing went very smooth and he was impressed with my recovery rate. The nurses seems so surprised that I was up and walking as soon as I got to my room after surgery. They kept stopping in the halls to tell me what a wonderful job that I was doing and to keep up the good work. I thought that was very sweet of them. My husband and I would very much like to attend the next Chandler Support meeting, does anyone know when it is? I can't wait to meet everyone! Take care, Michelle
JEAN-NA
on 4/11/07 7:30 am
Michelle Chandler group is tonight !! at 6:00 - always welcome to come ! we are going to talk about plateau busting ! main entrance of Chandler Regional Hospital - downstairs next to Pharmacy - Follow the signs As far as the gain goes dont worry about it ! they pack fluid on in the hospital - it will come off very quickly - I put on 12 lbs of water . A month later was down 20 lbs ! Bummer about Bed issue - find your voice and call the accounting office and complain - demand a refund for services not provided !!! Hang in it will get better.
Mikkilynn
on 4/11/07 7:51 am - Mesa, AZ
I'm not sure if I'm up for a meeting tonight. I didn't sleep much in the hospital and plan taking a nap shortly. But maybe I can make it to the next meeting. What day is the next meeting on?
pwrightt
on 4/14/07 11:39 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi Michelle: I gained 8lbs during my hospital stay. I could have enjoyed a pizza for that!!!! But its all water and will go away within the week. Sorry to hear about your foldup bed. I too had a private room and the foldup was very small. I never heard anything about getting a recliner. My surgeon was Dr.Juarez. Both he and Dr. Fang are not the most talkative people but they are great surgeons. That is the most important thing to remember. I am almost 4 months post op, no complications, and have now lost 65 pounds. I wish you the very best on your journey and welcome to the loosing side Pam
Most Active