Iron

Mikkilynn
on 4/6/07 10:32 am - Mesa, AZ
I was told at my pre-op class to take iron after surgery. The amount suggested 30 - 50mg at first. The only iron liquid that I can find costs $22 a bottle and would only yield 8 doses at that high amount. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was wondering if it would be possible to purchase the veggie caps and dump the powder in my protein shake? But I wasn't sure if the iron taste would overpower the flavoring.... help!
nicoleaz
on 4/6/07 1:44 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, Michelle, but I am told liquid Iron is EXTREMELY awful tasting. I wish you luck! Nicole
dfavre
on 4/6/07 4:28 pm - Maricopa, AZ
I bought the iron capsules from Vitamin World. I won't get to use them until next week, but I plan on breaking them open and putting them in my protien shakes or yogurt. Hope that helps! Dawn
Nicole W.
on 4/6/07 4:46 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
To get my double Iron for the first month after surgery, I just took a extra chewable multivitamin, the nurtrionist said that it would be fine. That gave me 36mg of Iron. I now take 65mg tabs, I think I got them at CVS or Walgreens and it was about $5.00, if that a bottle. I know Bariatric Advantage has chewable Iron also. Good Luck on your surgery!
Mikkilynn
on 4/7/07 12:43 am - Mesa, AZ
Thanks for the replies. I think that I will purchase the veggie caps and add the iron to my protein drink. I can't believe the box of supplements that I have to take after surgery. I actually had to make a schedule of when and how much to take of each item. But I can now relax and know that I am not forgetting to take something. Thanks again, Michelle
JRinAZ
on 4/7/07 2:06 am - Layton, UT
Michelle! You are setting yourself up for a lifetime of good health if you "keep" your schedule forever! I am over 4 years post-op and still have a supplement schedule. I do labs every 6 months minimum to see what I need to adjust and then re-schedule myself with the adjusted amounts and types. I have tried several types of iron and my favorite by far (and the one that keeps my labs the best) is the Tender Iron from vitalady.com It is tastey chewables without any strange after taste and with a little magnesium citrate added to my handful at night; I don't have to worry about he typical constipation problems that come with Iron. Im currently trying out Thorne Iron (vegetarian capsule). I just hold it on my tongue for a second or two before swallowing to give the capsule a chance to disintegrate. Your quest is a good one! Those who do NOT take their supplements seriously; are often visiting docs with mental and physical disorders following their weight loss surgery. O.K. ..........sooooooo....on that happy note! (Yikes!) can I just wish everyone a very Happy Easter weekend!!!! I'm going Non-traditional with my meal because my hubby and I get to have this one alone! (believe me, this is a good thing! ) I'll be grilling a steak and eating a hardboiled egg and will be delighted that I don't have to eat ham (yucky!) or make a zillion high calorie side dishes. My hubby had WLS also so we're all about protein!!!! But...today....Easter egg coloring with the grandbaby and all the fun stuff that goes with! Happy and Healthy Wishes to all of you! Joyce
Mikkilynn
on 4/7/07 9:34 am - Mesa, AZ
Thanks Joyce. I know how important vitamin and mineral supplements are and currently take them religiously. My immune system was almost non-existent due to many years of smoking and serious illinesses. So, I began researching what supplements to take to increase my immune system functions. That's when I decided to go to a naturopathic doctor and really began trying chinese herbs. I couldn't have been happier with the results. I don't get sick all the time anymore and just feel better. I will definitely give the Tender Iron chewables a try. They sound like exactly what I'm looking for. We are having Easter dinner today because Monday is my surgery, which means tomorrow I have to go through the wonderful cleanse. I will try to post when I get home from the hospital. Happy Easter! Michelle
Most Active