Hospital list - What should I bring?

pam S.
on 4/5/07 4:46 pm - Mesa, AZ
What things will/did you bring to the hospital with you?
nicoleaz
on 4/5/07 7:39 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Pam Here are some things I brought... MP3 player: So I could attempt to calm myself with music while I waited to be wheeled into the operating room. My own pillow from home: The hospital had plenty of pillows, but there's nothing quite like one you sleep with every night. Socks Birkenstocks: I recommend any comfortable shoe you can walk around the hospital floor in. A book: I didn't read it, but if you prefer it over TV, take one along! Spirometer: As required by my surgeon. CPAP mask: Also required by my surgeon. Cell phone: So I could have telephone numbers handy. A comfortable outfit to wear home from the hospital. Think elastic waist and oversized t-shirt.You may or may not be comfortable wearing a regular bra, try a sports bra if you must wear one. Glasses if you need them. Toothbrush/toothpaste Deodorant Hairbrush Hair scrunchie or clip Couple changes of undies Things I didn't bring, but wish I had: Chapstick! Cottonelle or other some such flushable baby wipes: It was very difficult for me to bend and wipe myself after surgery. Luckily, the hospital had some of these wipes which made me feel cleaner when I wiped myself. Sanitary napkins: Surgery can often cause a woman still menstruating to get her period - I sure got mine. The pads the hospital had were like mattresses, so if you think you might get yours, bring a few of your own. Bring a positive attitude and I wish you luck! Nicole
jenncarson
on 4/9/07 2:47 pm - AZ
Nicole- You are an incredible shrinking goddess! What a great list. -Jenn C in Chandler
ginaq56
on 4/6/07 7:37 am
Nicole's list was excellent. The only other item I can think of was a small pillow to hold against your abdomen when you need to cough. I have extra pillows on my couch, beds, etc and I practiced with each one prior to surgery so that I could find the one that fit just right! (Do I sound like Goldielocks or what?) And I also used that same pillow to put under the seat belt when I was in the car for a little added protection. Hugs, Gina
dfavre
on 4/6/07 4:32 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Hi Pam, Definatley consider bringing some tampons or pads. I too started mine the very night of surgery! I would also recommned bringing an oversized pair of shorts/pants because even my strechy pants were still snug over the stiches. You will walk out feelling bloated and have a lot of water retained, so your normal clothes may be a bit tight. Dawn
Most Active