Getting Back to Work

nicoleaz
on 3/30/07 4:41 am - Phoenix, AZ
The three weeks off after surgery went by so quickly, as I walked into work this morning it felt like I never left! Geez. As I suspected, everyone is stopping by to look at me. I feel like a caged animal trained to repeat answers to questions like "how do you feel?" "how much weight have you lost?" and "what was it like?" It's terribly sweet that everyone cares so much, but I don't know...this was such a personal endeavor for me that I don't care much for the attention right now. The good news is it's FRIDAY! Oh, and the other good news is I don't think I have a stricture! Yay! Liquids today and tomorrow and fingers crossed through the weekend! Nicole
carolem
on 3/30/07 7:46 am - Austin , TX
I hate to tell you this, but I'm over 2 months out and the questions have only let up a little. I feel like everyone is looking me over all the time, it's an odd feeling. I had lap-band so even though I've lost 35 lbs. compared to where you'll be in 2 months, it doesn't come off nearly as fast. Trying to explain the difference to people is not easy. I think they understand a little more now than initially but I'm not really sure! I only told a couple of people at my office, but when I came back to work, all the females knew about it! Your right, it feels very wierd to everyone asking you "how much have you lost now?" I also get people wanting to know how they can have this done, and that's another whole seperate topic. I think this might be why some people tell no one except their immediate family. I didn't think it would attract so much attention from my co-workers. Have fun.....
nicoleaz
on 3/30/07 9:22 am - Phoenix, AZ
I really struggled with deciding who to disclose the details of the surgery to here at work. In the end I decided to tell the people I saw on a regular basis in hopes they would be sensitive to my restrictions when it came to potlucks, happy hour, etc. Fortunately, it has worked out that way, but the frequent visits to my desk are so annoying! Nobody has asked me for advice on going through "the process" thank gawd. You poor thing - it's so involved! The up-side is we both had a great surgeon with superior preparatory and aftercare programs, so a recommendation to her office should do the trick! Congratulations on your weight loss! From the day of surgery I'm down 24 pounds. I'm so happy I decided to do this. I hope you feel the same! Nosey co-workers or not!
desert rat
on 3/30/07 10:05 am - Goodyear, AZ
Nicole, I hate to say it but you might as well get used to it! I'm 21 months post op and I still run into people who I haven't seen in a while and they just about faint! I never made a secret about it but I work for such a large company and I've changed departments since surgery so I don't see the same people on a regular basis any more. Until you get to goal (quit changing the way you look) people are going to be curious. Even if they have the good taste not to say anything, they are still THINKING it and they may be asking other people about you!!! I thought it was easier to just tell everyone as it came up. That allowed people to ask questions and it has led to at least two people I know, to begin the process to improve their lives, and I've referred them all to Dr. B. Now, that being said, I'm interviewing for a brand new job with a brand new company where there's only one person who knows I've lost a lot of weight. So, I'm hoping that it will never come up in conversation and no one will be watching and judging me every moment of every day. I know people are watching me now to see if I keep the weight off. I know this because they point out others who have failed! If nothing else, at least I'm that much more determined to be a success! Good luck on your journey & don't let their curiosity bother you too much. It really is human nature. Dj Pre-op: 316, Currently 136 (Dr's Goal...150)
nicoleaz
on 3/30/07 10:33 am - Phoenix, AZ
hey Dj First, and foremost, congratulations on your huge success! It's definitely inspiring! I'll get used to it, I just wasn't prepared for the parade of co-workers! Once the curiousity phase loses its novelty I'm sure I, too, will be under the watchful eye of many to see if I fail or not. Kudos to you for turning it into a motivator! Good luck to you with the new job! Nicole
JRinAZ
on 3/30/07 4:25 pm - Layton, UT
DJ Good luck with the new job!!!! You'll have to tell us all about it when you are settled in and ready to roll! As for the co-worker "watch".......sometimes a bit of that is healthy! The food police are truly never our friends but the admirers are often the little boost we need to keep our choices honest! ......And, those who know someone who "failed"???? Oh my gosh! Having been in the "biz" for a long while.....and knowing that there are many many reasons that some people have some regain....I have to tell you that using the word "fail" makes me crazy!!!!!! There are staple line disruptions, compromised stomas, medications that contribute, etc. We have to remember that the Rny window is an opportunity to loose a percentage. Some get to goal. Some get below goal. Some lose more than those who get to goal or get below goal but never get close to goal. All are successes.......Sooooo.....I'd be puting my dukes up to your co-workers as well if they brought up the "I know someone who failed" story! (Oh my gosh! I just had to delete what I'd like to say to them!!!!) .....Yup! I'm defensive of our very long road that we all have to work every minute on to stay healthy and stay regain FREE!!!!! ....jumping off my soap box! Joyce
vquigley
on 3/31/07 10:52 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, Nicole, You may as well get used to all of the questions because it doesn't stop. I am so thrilled with my own progress and what I can do now as opposed to what I couldn't do before surgery that I really don't mind the attention. In fact, it keeps me motivated to keep on keeping on. And I think the people that see me on a regular basis are really happy for me as well and I appreciate their ongoing concern. Keep up the good work, Virginia
Most Active