MILK INTOLERANCE

tall_girl99_2000
on 3/28/07 2:10 am - Chandler, AZ
Just wanted to know if anyone else has become lactose intolerant after having WLS. I really miss milk.
Nicole W.
on 3/28/07 4:01 am - Cave Creek, AZ
So far so good... I have been milk when I mix my egg and with other stuff, but I never drank a glass until recently. I love milk with anything peanut butter. So the other night I had an apple with some peanut butter and a glass of 2% and no problems. A few weeks before I had skim milk and it did not agree with me, I didn't make me super sick or anything, I just tasted horrible... I never disliked skim milk prior to surgery, but now I do. I remember reading alot as a pre-op that people develop milk intolerances as a post-op and that scared me since I love milk so much. Have you tried it yet? Over the weekend, I might try some cereal and see how it goes. ~Nicole
tall_girl99_2000
on 3/28/07 9:24 am - Chandler, AZ
Unfortunately, I have tried it on more than one occassion, with my cereal, (which used to me my favorite breakfast), I haven't tried it with my protein, maybe I should. I don't get violently ill or anything, but I get really gassy, and usually have to make a bathroom run. You are so lucky it hasn't affected you since you seem to be a milk lover like me.
JRinAZ
on 3/28/07 10:51 am - Layton, UT
Olga, I just consider those of us who become lactose intollerant to have gotten the EXTRA deal with our surgery! LOL! Just think of all those empty calories that would zip right through us without any satiety at all -that we don't have to worry about! ....We get to spend our calories on more satisfying things! Besides...cereal = high processed carbs with very little nutritional value and just something to increase our carb cravings, make our blood sugar peak and then dive and then leaves our system in a hurry! But...yup! I miss a good old bowl of Lucky Charms and milk too! Hugggzzz! Joyce
Nicole W.
on 3/28/07 3:35 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Oh, I know what you mean. I used to be able to eat 2 big bowls of Life or Honey Nut Cheerios (never liked the real sugary stuff). Now I would like a very tiny bowl of Special K. I love that stuff! Doesn't sound like you are too intolerant to it... except for a a little gas. But, I know how you feel... I was a such a big milk drinker too. I used to have at least 2 big cold glasses a day and they were the best with pancakes! And I swear that is why I never broke a bone, especially being a kid that was always keeping up with the boys. I keep reminding myself, the weight loss or the milk? I'll take the weight loss! ~Nicole
pam S.
on 4/5/07 4:45 pm - Mesa, AZ
I am pre-op but have been lactose intolerant for years now. I miss milk, but not enough to risk the cramps. Luckily I can eat yogurt, cheese and other dairy products without too much discomfort. There are lactose free milks, soy milks, and my sister actually puts some cereal in her yogurt.
Most Active