Soft Protein Diet

nicoleaz
on 3/23/07 10:26 am - Phoenix, AZ
Anyone else getting (get) burned out on the soft protein diet from Dr. Blackstone's office? I could use some help or recommendations for making it a little more interesting! Any suggestions are appreciated! Nicole
Nicole W.
on 3/23/07 11:10 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Hang in there... at one month you can bring in cooked veggies and non-citruis fruit. Deli turkey, tuna-fish, eggs, egg salad, fish, snow crab legs were big lifesavers for me during that first month.
nicoleaz
on 3/23/07 11:28 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hey, thanks! I'm trying... Veggies and some fruit! It's funny how exciting that sounds right about now I think I'll try some egg salad tonight. I'm headed to the store and thought I'd see what turkey products are out there. I didn't think of crab - what a great idea! Thanks again!
johnb_az
on 3/23/07 11:53 am - Phoenix, AZ
I feel your pain Nicole. I am SOO TIRED of the diet I can't stand it. I have tried two things off the diet out of frustration and was rewarded with frothing and bringing it back up... The one thing I can tolerate "off menu" is some of the Dim Sum dishes I like from Golden Budda. I think I will be turning into a shrimp here real soon as it is the only thing I can eat repeatedly. I can't eat anymore eggs and beans, at least for a while. Good luck, Doc http://www.myspace.com/az411
nicoleaz
on 3/23/07 1:36 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Seriously! I haven't had any dumping or frothing yet...I don't wanna take any chances! Just got back from Sprouts and Safeway and found some interesting turkey products. I bought some edamame too, which I happen to like. You wouldn't believe some of the cravings I've had lately - it's ridiculous! Thanks for the good luck wishes - you too!
M. clarke
on 3/24/07 7:09 pm
Nicole. I feel your pain. I was sooo tired of eggs I actually just had my first egg in two months yesterday. I really burned out on all of it..cheese, shrimp, eggs, yogurt. Wish I had some recommendations for you. Unfortunately due to my stricture I didn't really go through the normal process. Everything made me throw up for the first three months, so I never developed any recipes except for shrimp sauteed in olive oil and garlic seemed to taste pretty good. Hang in there. I know it feels like forever but the first four months will pass by and then you will be able to eat what you want. Remember to try some things you might not normally like. You might be surprised at what you like now and didn't before. I found i liked a lot of things I didn't like before surgery. The only reason I tried them was out of boredom of the limited menu options. For instance fish, never liked, now I do I actually still get a little bored as their as still things I can't eat. Chicken for one still gets stuck, and basically any meat that is too chewy or tough I still have a hard time with. I miss chicken. It's normally a staple in cooking, so it's hard to come up with things without it. At least for me. I'm having to still do a lot of experimenting.
nicoleaz
on 3/26/07 6:06 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hey Melissa I'm not a terribly picky eater, so I'll try just about anything! I haven't prepared shrimp the way you mentioned - I'll give that a shot. Tonight for dinner I made a turkey burger seasoned with a little garlic, pepper, and a tiny pinch of "Emeril's Essence" and it was pretty good! It seems to have agreed with me, so I assume I chewed well enough and all is well. I'd never eaten a turkey burger before, it was an experience! I suppose this is a time for creativity, right? I appreciate the recommendation!
(deactivated member)
on 3/25/07 11:57 am - AZ
Nicole, yes I got burned out too...I am just now eating some cottage cheese again...hang in there. The one thing I look foward too each evening, are my sf bryers fruit popcicles I love them...Just a couple more weeks you'll do it... Erin
nicoleaz
on 3/25/07 12:54 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hey Erin! sf fruit popcicles sound yummy - I can't wait!
AZdove
on 3/26/07 5:19 am - Tolleson, AZ
I hear you about being bored! I was so happy to get green beans back at 1 month. And now watermelon has become my "real" dessert! One thing that made it easier is to take ground turkey (generally it is in between the chicken and the beef section in the butchers case) and sautee it in a non stick pan. If you like pinto beans then mix them in and top with a little non fat cheese. It is really good, at least I think so. Of course a whole can of pinto beans makes 4 meals for me and if I add a little of the cooked turkey meat it makes 8! I am truly a cheap date! I have found also that taking chicken and boiling it on a very low heat in the chicken broth makes it tolerable. Now that I can have some vegetables (cooked) I put in some carrots. Spices are wonderful. I am not sure, well I can't remember but I know at 1 month you get dry spices back. I put in onion flakes and poultry seasoning mix while it is simmering...yummy. Eggs are difficult but very adaptable to recipes. I can't eat a boiled egg right now..it gets stuck everytime. Over easy is really good (tastes best to me) with a little salt and pepper. Another way to eat the eggs is to scramble anything and everything you can have into them to change the taste! I have never been a cheese eater but I can hide the taste of the egg better if I cover it with a little melted cheese. I long for the day when I can have ketchup! or salsa! The protein drinks have saved me lately with getting in the needed protein grams. I find myself looking forward to a protein smoothie each evening before bed! The first one I almost gagged on..but now...well I am evolving... Good luck!
Most Active