Post-Op Belly Balloon

jenncarson
on 3/21/07 11:32 am - AZ
I got out of the hospital a week ago. My lap-band surgery was so much more painful than I expected. The incision with the port hurt but the carbon dioxcide used to inflate your belly to separate organs was my biggest enemy. For 3 or 4 days after surgery, I felt like a giant helium balloon. The pressure was VERY painful but it finally subsided yesterday. Today, I feel like I'm getting back to my old self. Did anyone else have this pressure or pain? On a more positive note, it is incredible to have very little appetite and it's awesome to lose weight. -26 lbs (after the 2 week pre-op liquid diet & 1 week post-op)
johnb_az
on 3/21/07 12:43 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Great weight loss! I had pain, but only because I sleep on my side/stomach and I would wake up drenched in sweat from the pain and would have to remedicate in the middle of the night. I sure wish I could have learned to sleep on my back... it would have made my first two weeks sleep much better. I used a camping air mattress filled only half way and that made things more tolerable. Doc http://www.myspace.com/az411
nicoleaz
on 3/21/07 1:02 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Jenn Congrats on the weight loss and feeling like yourself again! I was told to expect some pressure and pain near my left shoulder as a result of the carbon dioxcide. Being prepared for it didn't make it hurt any less! It subsided, of course, but took a few days. Not unusual at all! Nicole
pufftobuff
on 3/23/07 7:01 am - Phoenix, AZ
Wow 26 pounds already! Years ago I had some surgery and I had lots of cramping in my shoulders and it was the gas from the carbon dioxide and passed withn two days. The last couple of years I had a couple more surgeries (Not my WLS yet) and I expected this pain so it was not so bad--just crampy but I am one to get straight up and Adam and walk the floors as much as possible and I think this helped pass the gasses through my tissues so it was no big deal. Walk, walk and walk! Good luck!
Most Active