Nervous

Garrett N.
on 3/16/07 6:12 am - Phoenix, AZ
Ok I am not one to normally admit when I am scarred or nervous, but here it goes... I am scared and nervous ... Phew glad I got that out. I have tried talking with my wife about it and bless her heart she is doing all she can to understand but I know its hard to when your not faced with the issue. To be honest I am mostly scared of the changes, since I have never been "thin" I don't know what to expect. I know sounds silly huh. I always thought that how could someone be scared to be thin when its a good thing. I was fine up until yesterday when it hit me that "Oh my, this is really going to happen!" Now don't get me wrong nothing is going to stop the surgery from happening for a myriad of reasons. But, mainly because I refuse to force my wife and daughter to watch me slowly kill myself as a result of food. Well I hope you all don't think me crazy now...
JRinAZ
on 3/16/07 7:16 am - Layton, UT
Garrett, I think you'd be not to be nervous!!! ...... The time prior to my surgery, I updated my living will, tweaked my Letters to my hubby and children, hid cash in the appropriate family "finding zones", cleaned areas I didn't want people peaking into, cleaned out my closet (I think that was the last time the way it looks right now! LOL!), and made sure everyone knew that it was my choice and no one should feel responsible if the worst happened. Then....I left it alone and focused on the jello, popscicles, cream of everytihing soups, protein supplements, vitamin supplements, water bottles, cool new nightgown and robe for the 5 minutes in the hospital (never wore them), buying a new Lazy Boy (still glad I have it!), making carb laden stretcher meals to freeze for the family who wouldn't want to share my cream of crap soups after surgery, ......AND....bought myself a notebook to record my measurements (every single area) and to use later to track everything, took my before pic with and without clothes, bought a photo album to record my journey, and listed all my goals with various milestones and rewards! ....just let the nerves evolve into busy creativity! Park yourself on the Before and After section of Obesity Help. That alone will charge you up and keep your excitement level higher than your fear level!!!! ....and, know that you've got many Angel's in your outfield waiting to support you and cheer you along the way! Huggggzzzz, Joyce
nicoleaz
on 3/17/07 6:07 am - Phoenix, AZ
You really hit the nail on the head here, Joyce. I did the very same thing - turn my nerves into busy creativity. I did everything I could to ensure all would be taken care of should the worst occur and, while it was a bit morbid to be in that mindset, I felt good about what I was doing because the overall idea was to take care of the people I love and make the transition easy for everyone. I had fun shopping for vitamins and things to make myself as comfortable as possible post-op. You give great advice! Nicole
Garrett N.
on 3/17/07 9:29 am - Phoenix, AZ
I think all of you are some wonderful people and I couldnt thank you enough for being here! I know guys arent supposed to get "scared" but I will be the first to admit I am very much scared and nervous. But everyones words are making it a bit easier.
David S.
on 3/16/07 11:47 am
Garrett, I just got back from the hospital this afternoon, as I had my surgery on Tuesday Mar 13th. I felt especially nervous as the week prior to my surgery came on. I had to come to grips with why I had chosen to do the procedure, and what I hoped to gain from the procedure. I then had to focus on the things I can change, and the things I can't change. Because I'm pretty religious, I take everything to God. Needless to say, I was able to feel completely at peace going into my surgery. Although this has been a horribly tough miserable week for me (I refuse to powder coat it), I still feel it was the best decision for me. I am starting to feel better today, and I am home. What's more? I'm not even hungry. Please keep us all updated as you wrestle through the next few weeks. --Dave
Garrett N.
on 3/16/07 12:19 pm - Phoenix, AZ
First of all congratz on your surgery ! So why so long in the hospital is that a normal length of stay? Also, very sorry you had a miserable time something I am not looking forward too.
David S.
on 3/17/07 3:39 am
I had open RNY, and my doctor has all of his surgeries for open on Tuesday, and releases them on Fridays. He believes this is the ideal timeframe to keep us under watch. Honestly, I really didn't feel well enough to come home until Friday anyway, even though I may have been fine. I guess that's why we leave that up to the doctors. I continue to feel better at home. Sorry for the poor hospital review so close to your surgery. If its any consolation, I am feeling very good now, and am not even hungry. Upon coming home from the hospital, I switched over strait to Tylenol, and got off of the heavy pain killers. I believe my poor experience is my personal reaction to anistesia and post op heavy medications. Everyone I talk to says the results and positives to come will severely outweigh a few days of "misery". Chin up, your day is almost here!!!
Garrett N.
on 3/17/07 9:31 am - Phoenix, AZ
Your right and I have no doubts that the positives will FAR out way (no pun intended) the negatives.
David S.
on 3/17/07 2:24 pm
Sorry again if I made you feel worse about your anxiety on the surgery. I continue to feel alot better, and am on a quick recovery path. You'd be crazy if you didn't pass through some anxiety leading up to an event. On the night before my dad was going to marry my mom he couldn't sleep all night. They recently celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary, and consider it the best decision of their life. Sounds like you've done your homework and legwork.... Now trust yourself!!
pwrightt
on 3/16/07 12:33 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi Garrett:It is very common to be nervous and scared before surgery. The week before my surgery I was a wreck and almost talked myself out of it. I just want you to know you are in the hands of a very very very good surgeon. Dr.Juarez is awesome. Take a deep breath and relax. It won't be long until you are on the healthy side. Pam
Most Active