Lifting after surgery

dfavre
on 3/14/07 10:32 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Hi all, I just had my pre op class yesterday, and they mentioned something about not being able to lift anything for 4 weeks. I have a 1 1/2 year old and am wondering how the heck I am going to get through a normal day w/o lifting him in'/out of his crib and in/out of his car seat! Any thoughts? Thanks gang!
David S.
on 3/16/07 11:02 am
Dawn, This was a big issue for my wife and I as well, as we have 4 very active children, and our youngest is only about 15 months old. I think the best solution will be one that caters to your needs, while making sure your kids are OK. This was a particular issue for us because I just had my surgery March 13th, and my wife Jodell is scheduled for surgery on march 27th. As mentioned previously, our gameplan was meant to cater to our needs and our tight budget. First, we scheduled a family member to come and stay at our house for the week of my surgery, and the week of my wife's surgery. For this week, we flew my wife's sister into town for the week. We bought tickets early enough that we got shuttle rides and airline tickets for one person for less than $300.00. Shorter on budget? I don't know if a grayhound bus is any cheaper. It has been nice to have my wife's sister here this week during the surgery. It meant that my wife was able to come and go from the hospital as much as she wanted to. I was miserable and grumpy, so I think she came less rather than more. Having an on call babysitter also helps because you don't have to worry as much about changes in admittance and departure times. When my mom goes home after Jodell's surgery, I will already be almost 3 weeks post op. We plan to set up a little bed for our 15 month old on the floor for that first week, and rely on his older brothers and sister for help. I'm sure they will be really disappointed if they miss a few days of school. That's the budget route. $300.00 for one relative to come in from out of town for a week, and mom's gas money to drive down here for a week.
dfavre
on 3/17/07 1:35 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Do you think the lifting means "over the head" lifting, or any kind of pressure in your arms? I know, I am just trying to find excuses. But geeze, I think I will go crazy being so limited! God bless you for taking the chance of having your little one in a bed...I can't imagine mine being on the loose in the morning
David S.
on 3/17/07 2:14 pm
Dawn, I think many of us tend to want to "push the limits" on some of the requests of our doctors. If your little one is so small, have you considered sending her to a relative's home for a few weeks while you are recovering? That way you could put you and at ease, and still feel good about getting better for yourself. That said, we would have a hard time being without our baby for a few weeks. I know of people who have pushed the limits of the doctor, and have been fine. For some it seems to have no effect, while others might be slower in recovery, and others could have an incision open as a result of pushing themselves too far. In the end, you will be responsible to yourself for your recovery and misery management To answer your question, I don't think lifting just means over your head. I do, however, think that the time limits are for people who have to lift stuff daily on the job. I'd guess you might be able to shave some time off, but I'm not your doctor. Best of luck as you consider all of your options.
Bobbys_mom
on 3/18/07 7:05 am - AZ
Folks, This is Bobby posting on his moms username again.... Being 1 month post-op, I havent experienced any issues in lifting. I think that the doctors just want you to be VERY cautious of HOW MUCH youre lifting. I dont think a 10 pound baby will be much of an issue, as 10 pounds is not going to put much strain on your center mass. As long as you arent lifting the baby with your arms straight out (leverage), you should be ok. Try and stand right over or beside the chind and lift using your triceps. This totally minimizes the abdominal muscle usage.
(deactivated member)
on 3/19/07 11:23 am - AZ
I lifted my 18 mo at the time of sugery 3 wks post op no problem, no pain or strain. I have always been a strong girl physically, so no issues for me but everyone is different.....if it doesn't feel right don't do it you can pull one of your incision sites.... Take care, Erin
Most Active