Going back to work questions...

Kelove34
on 3/12/07 9:40 am - AZ
I have been reading posts for about a month but have not yet posted. My surgeron has submitted my "case" to the insurance company and now I am just playing the waiting game. I hope to have the LapBand and I have learned MANY helpful things on this site but one thing that I have not read about is going back to work. I am a professional and work is very important to me. I plan on taking only 1 week off of work to recooperate. For example - have surgery on Tuesday and go back to work on Monday. One reason for this is I dont want ANYONE to know. To all of you guys who have been through this... is this enough time? Also - I have to travel a lot for work - how soon can I fly after surgery? Thanks for you guidance/advice. I look forward to your thoughts... K-
Sherry61
on 3/12/07 11:07 am - Tucson, AZ
I am seeing Dr. Blackstone and from others in this site they said for the lap band it is one week and RNY it is 3 weeks. When I went to my preop education class they said that you cannot drive until after your followup appointment which is 2 weeks and they also said you cannot lift anything for 6 weeks. I haven't met with Dr. B to find out exactly what she will sign for. Others on this and other sites say that they had it done on Thursday and returned to work Monday. I think it is very individual. Good luck!
desert rat
on 3/12/07 12:24 pm - Goodyear, AZ
Kelly, I have a friend who had lap RNY & she only took one week off. Her job has her at a desk all day and she said it was tough but she made it. You might want to go to the lap-band forum. They'll have much more information. Best of luck! Dj
K B (Tucson)
on 3/12/07 12:34 pm - Tucson, AZ
I have the band and 1 week is generally sufficient for recouperation IF you have a more sedentary job. You will feel tired quickly and may need to go home early for a few days. Good luck.
carolem
on 3/13/07 2:13 am - Austin , TX
I have kap-band and I do suggest asking this question on the lap band forum. I was not ready after 1 week, mainly because I got tired so easily, also my incisions bothered me a lot. I was in so much pain at my post-op class (in the first week) I couldn't wait to get home and get the heating pad on! I think it's a little different for everyone. You may not know until you get there. I'm assuming this is laproscopic? I went back after 2 weeks and was lucky enough to only work 1/2 days. You may be much sooner. Take care....
Kelove34
on 3/13/07 8:19 am - AZ
Thanks for all of your responses. It seems to be very individual so I will just have to wait and see... I have an office job but a VERY fast paced one... I really dont want to tell anyone but I dont know how I am going to get around this one... We'll see! Thanks again, K-
MARY OTU
on 3/14/07 5:16 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Kelly, Do not stress over telling people. You are entitled to take time off work for medical issues. You need only tell your supervisor that you need the time off, not the reason. Your Employer must keep this information confidential. If they ask, you can give them a DR Note excusing you. If anyone has the nerve to ask you such a personal question you may want to just say that you are having "abdominal" surgery. However, it is rude of anyone to ask. You can also just say,"Personal medical reasons" to anyone who asks. Best of luck! Mary
David S.
on 3/18/07 8:15 am
WAY to go Mary. I like that response. I was receiving such good support from my coworkers, that I let them know up front, and they were able to be in tune with the insurance/update process. Granted, I have a very supportive workplace. It also made it easier when my dates changed. Really it is a very personal decision, and I really don't like to have uninformed know-it-alls tell me what they think about my surgery. I was surprised how many of my coworkers were very simpathetic, and even forwarded me to other people in the office who had already had the process done. Try to make sure you have some close family and friends to help you through the process. Also remember, when you start losing alot of weight, people will want to know what you've done.
Most Active