Something to be aware of for RNY people

carolem
on 3/12/07 7:28 am - Austin , TX
Shortcut to: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070312/hl_nm/obesity_surgery_dc_1 People that have had RNY need to be on top of this so it won't happen to you.
(deactivated member)
on 3/12/07 7:36 am - avondale, AZ
Thanks Carole, it's good to know. As i have a tendency to overlook my viatamins. How are you doing?
carolem
on 3/12/07 7:42 am - Austin , TX
It can happen to Lap Band as well, but the tendency is for RNY people. I'm doing great, joined Curves, it was too difficult to get to the mall. So I'm going 3 to 4 days a week. Have a few sore muscles, but I'm down a couple of sizes in pants for sure, 1 in tops, and 34 lbs. Had my first fill last week, now I'm eating even less! Life is good! Are you in CO? How are you doing stranger?
Sherry61
on 3/12/07 11:15 am - Tucson, AZ
34 pounds!! That is great!! How hard is it for you to follow the diet like we are instructed to do? Was it hard keeping to 3 meals a day--if so what keeps you focused to continue?? I am having my surgery on 3/22/07 and I am not afraid of the surgery itself--I am just a little nervous on how hard it is to stick to exactly what they tell you to. I am so tired of being fat and not wanting to go anywhere because of how I look and feel...
carolem
on 3/13/07 4:14 am - Austin , TX
Hi Sherry, it's pretty awful the first month with clear liquids for 4 days, then we switch to soft proteins until our first fill. I'm lap-band not RNY so my diet is different. I didn't find it hard to stick with the 3 meals a day because I really wasn't hungry in between. Plus you have to drink 64 ounces of water a day during that 6 week period. With it being soft proteins, they give you a list of what they mean, it's not hard at all. I did a lot of seafood, broiled. You will feel differently after surgery and loose some of your taste for certain things you think you can't live without! I thought I could not get along without Mountain Dew (diet) in the am. I haven't even missed it. Your whole focus changes, and now instead of thinking in terms of a diet, it's getting the nutrition you need by eating very small amounts of food and taking your vitamin supplements as well as how much more active can I be today. I've started a whole exercise routine now and find I have so much more energy and only a few sore muscles. I'm enjoying this and I never thought I would. Don't spend too much time worrying about what you think you can't do, you'll totally change your life in ways your not expecting.
David S.
on 3/12/07 12:18 pm
Carole, Great to hear how well you've been doing. Some people I've met who had the band hadn't lost weight as quickly as you. I'm guessing it's a tribute to your hard work and probably especially the working out. Great Work-- Dave
M. clarke
on 3/12/07 12:40 pm
Carole, Thanks for sharing that site. Reading things like that make me more conscious of taking my vitamins!
Nicole W.
on 3/12/07 1:43 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
My last visit with Cassie she told me the importance of making sure my B-Complex had Thiamine in it... gotta make sure you check the labels. I have gotten much better with my vitamins... still struggling with my calicum. I need a swift kick in the a$$.
pufftobuff
on 3/15/07 6:20 am - Phoenix, AZ
This is good to know but I am curious if this condition is prevelant in people with other diseases or conditions that lead to mal nutrition or the absorption of Thyame and B1 for example, people with various stomach cancers, or is this strictly a sisk for the obese patient?
Most Active