Home Sweet Home!

nicoleaz
on 3/10/07 2:25 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Surgery went great! I was kept an extra day in the hosp. because I ran a fever, but it quickly subsided. Now that I'm home I'm hot and cold and hot and cold and TOTALLY not hungry. All this water is hard to get down! I have some pain, but it's totally manageable - the pain meds help. While it's nice to be home, I'm finding it difficult to get comfortable in a seated position. I've tried countless configurations of pillows and chairs and couches - any ingenious tips from the pros? I totally tuckered myself out trying to get comfy. I shoulda borrowed a recliner for this! Back to my water.... Nicole
M. clarke
on 3/10/07 7:44 pm
Welcome home Nicole. Good luck with the getting comfy thing I know its not fun. I still get some discomfort where the staples are from time to time. You might want to try a heating pad. That helped me. Or seemed to at least I found the bed completely uncomfortable and did much better in my lazy boy for the first week and half. When I did sleep in the bed I only slept a few hours then went back to the lazy boy, or propped a bunch of pillows around so I was sitting up. The water is hard at first, but it will get easier. Keep us posted as to your progress! I'm glad your home and the surgery went well.
Nicole W.
on 3/11/07 6:41 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Congrats Nicole! Dr. Blackstone kept me an extra day because I had a fever also and my white blood cell count was a bit high. I too was hot and then cold... and still 4 months out not physically hungry. I am mentally hungry and I know I need to eat, I gotta keep reminding myself to eat. My 5th day after surgery I no longer could handle the jello and broth... until my 1 week class I was just drinking water and tea... with some broth here and there. I was so excited to finally be able to eat eggs on my one week class. As for the pillows... I slept on my lazyboy chair for 2 nights when I got home, after that I couldn't sleep so I tried my bed. I got some pillows and slept on my right side slightly. I put a pillows under my tummy to support me and take away any pain that I might have and then I also put a pillow or two against my back so I didnt move. I was pretty comfortable and slept that way for a week and it was very restful sleep. One night I woke up on my belly... without pain. I called the office and they said if there was no pain I was fine. I am a total stomach sleeper!!! But since you dont have a recliner, if you have a sofa that as back cushions that remove, remove one or two of them, put one of them on an angle in the corner, so that you have the rest of the sofa to put your feet up on... using other pillows to support your arms and tummy. I stopped taking the pain medication after 2 days of being home (I only took it at night), as it gave me those night sweats and some weird dreams... I watched Fantastic Four one night (with hottie Julian McMahon) and my dreams consisted of scenes of the movie with me in it... hehe, it was very weird! Keep walking... pushing yourself a little more each day. Remember mindful eating (once you start solid foods again). Chicken will be the biggest struggle... it is dry and sometimes tough on our pouches. I had no problems with fish... if you like fish. Hope to you see you at support groups. If you need anything, please do not hesitate to ask! ~Nicole (Nikki)
Most Active