APIPA Rude?

jewelz78
on 3/7/07 10:27 am - Tucson, AZ
I just made the first of what I am sure will be many calls to APIPA. I asked what their pre-auth requirements were for WLS. The lady says to me " Oh it's alot to go through and you probably won't get approved anyways." I hung up in tears how rude anyone else have this experience?
tall_girl99_2000
on 3/7/07 10:50 am - Chandler, AZ
Hi Julia Don't let that discourage you at all. If you really want this surgery and you know you are a candidate, you need to continue to fight. APIPA is part of ACCCSS right? Of course they don't want to pay, but they will if its deemed necessary. If they continue to give you a hard time, switch to MercyCare. My friend is getting ready to have hers done and it's through them. Good Luck!
jewelz78
on 3/7/07 11:26 am - Tucson, AZ
did she have a hard time with getting approved? ANd how long did it take her if you dont mind. I am in Tucson and I go to my PCP tomorrow to try and get help with this. If he says no Im gonna have to find a new PCP.
tall_girl99_2000
on 3/8/07 1:26 am - Chandler, AZ
actually she did not have as long as I had to wait for my private insurance to do it. I think she is getting it done in Phoenix, with Dr Fang I think!!!! Give it a try and please whatever u do....DON"T GIVE UP!! I will call her and get more info for you if you are willing to travel to Phoenix.
Candi Y.
on 3/7/07 11:19 pm - Cottonwood, AZ
Dont get frustrated YET, but I was Mercycare and they pretty much said I'd need to be half dead before approval, I was unable to be diagnosed with 3 major aliments, so after 6 moths of fighting and phone calls I have given up and have taken out a loan for self-pay! It stinks but ya know this is MY LIFE and we spend more on cars now a days so I am taking the big challenage on March 14th! Good luck to you and don't give in to easy! FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!
M. clarke
on 3/8/07 5:18 am
Candi. I agree with you! I had to sell my home to come up with the money. It was very depressing to give up my home, but it was SOOO very worth it. The best investment I have ever made, and I thank God I had the equity to make it happen. We might not like our options, but thankfully we have them.
JRinAZ
on 3/8/07 8:27 am - Layton, UT
Great attitude Candi You are going to be such a "LOSER"!!!! Skinny wishes to you for an uneventful and successful surgery! See ya on the skinny side! Huggggzzz, Joyce
M. clarke
on 3/8/07 5:13 am
Julia. I didn't have Apipa, but my insurance flat out refused to even discuss it with me. They didn't care what was wrong, what my health was, they did not cover ANYTHING that had to do with obesity or WLS. Your insurance said you "Probably" won't get approved. Which means there is a chance you WILL be approved. That is HUGE. That is much more then a lot of people get. Many many people are left to come up with the money on their own. Don't cry. Be happy you have a chance. Be strong, and determined and fight for it. They want you to give up. That is why they say things like that to you. You have a chance. They told you that you have a chance. You may have a long battle a head of you in order to get it approved, but your health is absolutely worth the fight. Great luck to you. Keep us informed of your progress.
jewelz78
on 3/8/07 6:59 am - Tucson, AZ
Well I know it can be done people have been approved on it before it will just be the fight of my life for my life And I am determined to do it
David S.
on 3/8/07 10:25 am
I know I have different insurance than you, but I have found that sometimes the Dr's office can make a difference, at least for me personally. We went to one office, and they made it sound like our insurance would never approve us for surgery. Then, we went to Dr. Schwartz's office here in Tucson, and they were understanding of our needs. Within a couple weeks of when we sent in our official paperwork, we were approved. I am scheduled for surgery this coming Tuesday, March 13th, and my wife Jodell is scheduled for March 27th. This is a path we are traveling together. Try not to get frustrated, as I have found that there is too much negativity out there, especially on the road to WLS. Chin up!!!
Most Active