New Whey Question

JRinAZ
on 3/6/07 11:45 am - Layton, UT
D.J., LeAnn, Anyone???? What flavors do you recommend of the New Whey???? I've tried the blue raspberry and the fruit punch. I lived through it and actually felt like I had an immediate buzz???? Is that normal???? Anyway...I LOVE the convenience of having 25 grams of protein already mixed and ready to drink and not have to worry about swallowing 8 or more ounces of nasty stuff!!!! ....just wondering which flavors I should stick with???? I remember you telling me to stay away from something??? I want to order a case to save on the $$ but don't want any nasty flavors slipping into my mailbox OR mouth!!!!! Thanks bunches! Joyce
Maureen O.
on 3/6/07 11:58 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi Joyce, I have a question for you. Do you know if lap band patients have to drink protein too? I guess I should have asked this at the pre-op class. They didn't mention it though so I figured we didn't have to drink it. I am eating pure protein bars which aren't too bad. I guess they can't hurt even if I don't need them. OH, and one more question I forgot to ask. Do lap band patients get that stricture that I keep reading about? I hope not. Thanks, Maureen
JRinAZ
on 3/6/07 12:13 pm - Layton, UT
Hey there Maureen, I'm trying to remember who your surgeon is??? Each surgeon differs with their programs. Some surgeons who do Lap Band require certain patients (usually those with high BMI's) to do a 2 week protein drink "fast" prior to their surgery. It allows the surgeon to work around the vital organs without so much fatty tissue. That being said...as far as "needing" protein???? My personal opinion is that anyone who is unable to get in substantial nutrition through healthy eating (and that could include a banded post-op) should be chugging some extra protein! Protein drinks can help promote healing following your surgery, they also help kick you into "ketosis" losing by increasing your protein levels, and they provide nutrition when little portions just doesn't do it for you! I think you can hop over to the Lap Band forum and find all kinds of opinions on protein as well but the bottom line is that you want to do what YOUR surgeon wants you to do "for now". And then as you develop your own plan after much research, then you might want to have protein supplements be part of your journey for good! ....Lap Banders do not get strictures ....but, they can have band slippage, blockage from eating something that hasn't been chewed well, flipped ports, their banded area so swollen that food will not go down, or an "over fill".....the thing is that most of those issues are easily fixed and very rare. You'll be fine!!!! ....dang it...one of these days I'm going to actually give a short answer!!!! Joyce
Nicole W.
on 3/6/07 3:59 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
From what I recall from my pre-op class... LapBands do not have to use a protein supplement if you are getting your protein in thru foods. I think maybe for the first few weeks you may, but since you are LapBand you will be on a completely different diet then us RNY patients... you might want to check out your blue binder from the pre-op class or you can always email the girls in the dietician office. [email protected] Carole is a Dr. Blackstone LapBand patient, maybe she can give you some information. No strictures for LapBander's either... stricture is caused by the formation of scar tissue at the incision site of the small intestine to the new pouch. Since there is no resectioning of the bowel, no stricture. But from what I understand from my LapBand friend, if you eat too much or do not chew right, it is just as uncomfortable. ~Nicole
azleshep
on 3/6/07 1:47 pm
Hey Joyce, Whey already mixed and 25 grams of protein haven't heard of New Whey? Who makes it and where do you get it? Pam (who thinks you are look'n sooo good little missy! Enjoyed seeing today and wish I was in town to join you and the mommies on your hike! GREAT idea !
JRinAZ
on 3/7/07 4:29 am - Layton, UT
Pam, It's and IDS product that I purchased (upon D.J.'s recommendation) at Vitamin World. It tastes sooooo much better than the Profect and is about half as much liquid. They have a couple of options with 2 of them having 42 protein grams BUT since we can only absorb 30 at a time then I'm sticking with the 25 grams. There's someone in the great land of O.H. (somewhere over the rainbow?) who has links to buying it by the case at a discounted price. Dame Tooter???? (going off of a sleep deprived memory right now) Anyway......You have fun in your itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot........snorkeling and padeling around with the whales and doing the cha cha with the very handsome Wayne on that cruise ship! ...looking forward to pictures and details! Joyce
M. clarke
on 3/7/07 5:24 am
Joyce, do said they are half the amount of profect?? Profect is only 3 ounces. Are they smaller then that? Which kind are good and where can you get them online?
JRinAZ
on 3/7/07 6:41 am - Layton, UT
LOL! Profect is only 3 oz huh? I could have sworn that stuf was a stinking GALLON! Sooooo....New Why is really 2.9 ounces so that .1 ounce must totally make the difference ito me!!!! I swear it tastes better though! Profect gagged me. I don't know where you get it on-line; haven't hunted yet. Jeanna (aka as Gina) found a deal somewhere though so maybe she'll catch this note and give us details..... It sounds like we should all order a case in our favorite flavor and then meet up at some lovely mall for a little protein trading and some serious shopping! Hugggzz to you, Joyce
M. clarke
on 3/7/07 8:29 am
LOL. They are pretty nasty Joyce. But worth the taste to get in the protein in so few swallows. I have been searching online for the new whey ones. I have seen a few places to buy ,but I would like to buy a trial pack like I did with the profect. That way I can determine which flavor is the most tolerable.
desert rat
on 3/7/07 10:26 am - Goodyear, AZ
Hey hun, Just a quick corretion...they can be purchased at the Vitamin Shoppe. I've never seen them at Vitamin World. Okay that's it! Dj
Most Active