Having surgery this Thursday

Maureen O.
on 3/5/07 4:59 am - Glendale, AZ
Well it is finally almost here. I am having surgery on Thursday, March 8th and now I am getting really nervous, scared and having second thoughts. Has anyone else felt this way when it got closer to surgery? I'm sure this is all normal feelings but I just need some reassurance. Thanks in advance for your input, Maureen
JEAN-NA
on 3/5/07 5:34 am
MAUREEN its a very normal feeling, take time to breathe and relax, remember your in good hands and they will take good care of you , Get your rest, be on time and take deep breaths when you feel anxious .. best of luck - we will be here waiting on an update ..
(deactivated member)
on 3/5/07 6:54 am - AZ
Good Luck Maureen....I wish you the best. You will be just fine, the 1st couple of weeks are tough, but it only gets better from there. I am 10 weeks out and feel good except for my stricture which is going to get fixed this week. I have lost 51 lbs!!! Look foward to all the good things to come... Erin
Sherry61
on 3/5/07 9:47 am - Tucson, AZ
Good luck! I will be thinking of you! How was your preop visit once you finally got to meet Dr. Blackstone? Did you lose the weight she wanted you to? I have my appt with her on Thursday afternoon and have surgery on 3/22/07. I would be very interested in hearing your experiences! Postive thoughts going your way!! Sherry
jenncarson
on 3/5/07 10:53 am - AZ
Hi Maureen! Good luck on surgery on Thursday. I know it will go great. I'm having my surgery next Monday! I'm feeling nervous and a little overwhelmed, too. I'm basically trying to stop worrying by getting everything together. I filled the frig with clear liquids for my pre and post op diet. I also put together a basket with everything I will need after the surgery like my meds, liquid tylenol and so forth. I also bought a couple magazines, mystery novels and a few DVDs. I'm going to treat post-op like a vacation. A vacation with some pain and a liquid diet. We are starting our new healthy life. This time next month, you and I will be starting a new healthy life. -Jenn
Maureen O.
on 3/5/07 11:45 am - Glendale, AZ
Thank you Jenn. I will let you know how it goes. I'm hoping the pain won't be too bad. It sounds like you have a good plan with post-op vacation. I think I will do the same. We just need to keep our eye on the end result. I can't wait to buy new clothes and normal size things. I will keep in touch. Maureen
desert rat
on 3/5/07 12:17 pm - Goodyear, AZ
Maureen, Don't worry about the pain too much. My husband had surgery a month ago and he said that the worst pain felt like he had done too many sit-ups. My surgery was 20 months ago and I don't remember too much pain either. The worst was the gas they fill you up with. That pain is gone by the time you get out of the hospital and while you're in, you'll have plenty of GOOD drugs! Are you having lap or open? RNY or band or something else. Whose your surgeon? Just being nosey! Dj
alligatorpgr
on 3/5/07 1:55 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
I'm wishing you a safe surgery and a healthy recovery. Sending gentle huggzzz your way also. I was hoping to come see you on the 8th as my pre-op appt with Dr B was on Thursday, but I've now been re-scheduled until May. Best wishes and let us know how you are doing. Alli
azleshep
on 3/5/07 3:34 pm
Maureen, What you are feeling is sooooo normal!!! Know that you are in good hands; Lap-Band while it IS surgery is less invasive then RNY and statistics are well documented that the surgery is very successful. You are RIGHT to keep your anxiety at bay by focusing on the goal...the things you look forward to! Like you said "normal" clothes....etc. Make a list and journal some of the things you hope to do. That will help keep your mind on the positive. I wanted to swim with the dolphins and go on horseback, fit in a booth and a go cart. Climb a flight of stair without getting winded, do a 1/2 marathon. Now I am two years out and have done ALL of that and look forward to new adventures! Think of ALL the possibities...and enjoy making your WISH list!! Good luck to you...this is the BEST gift you could ever give yourself! Exciting times are ahead... Pam S. RNY 11/04 333/170
Nicole W.
on 3/6/07 1:41 am - Cave Creek, AZ
The nerves is normal... I was more excited than anything! It was a start of a new life for me. I had those around me that were nervous enough for me so I wasn't nervous. Drinks lots of water the night before so you can keep yourself somewhat hydrated for your IV... the nurses in the pre-op area only work with Dr. Blackstone so they are awesome! Good Luck to you! ~Nicole
Most Active