Because someone asked ...

Arizona_Sun
on 2/28/07 10:27 pm - Gilbert, AZ
I had a private inquiry about how I take my calcium and thought I would post what I actually take. Keep in mind that I do extensive lab work and what I take is adjusted based upon the results of my labs. I discovered several deficiencies in my first six months post-op and my current regimen was developed based upon that. My six month lab draw consists of 12-15 vials of blood (one stick though because I go well hydrated at the labs suggestion). My first two years I did the extensive draw every 3 months because my body was in such a stage of flux. I take my calcium with my other supplements (except iron). 1) I usually take supplements beginning with iron + C in the middle of the night so it does not conflict with anything else; 2) calcium with my a.m. shake - shortly followed by: 3) Dry A&D, milk thistle, multi, cranberry, Stress B, B1 4) around 11:30 a.m. I take calcium, dry A&D, milk thistle, dry E 5) mid afternoon calcium 6) 5ish calcium, dry A&D, milk thistle, cranberry and multi 7) calcium around 7 or so. 8) just before bed: magnesium citrate, magnesium Oxide
Arizona_Sun
on 2/28/07 10:29 pm - Gilbert, AZ
8) just before bed: magnesium citrate, magnesium Oxide -- both depend on how my bowels are moving as to amount, Dry A&D, zinc, potassium OTC, biotin. Twice weekly I also take 50,000 IU dry D because I am trying to get my D levels up. Also, twice daily I do a sublingual B12 (methylcobalamin form). I do not usually do the cyanocobalamin form because I found my body does not convert it to the methyl and my numbers were okay, but I was having concentration problems. I now keep my B12 number around 1700 with the methyl form and no concentration problems. Milk thistle is for liver health because I tend to have elevated liver enzymes. Cranberry is for urinary tract health. I take a total of 6 of the A&D capsules daily. My body is a full time job or so it seems, although now at over 3 years out it is just habit. The amounts vary depending on what my labs show. I also do 3-30 gram protein shakes daily. I use Champion Pure Whey Stack and ProScore 100 (made by Champion) mixed using the PS100 scoop for a total of 167 calories each shake. I just mix with cold water and shake. Sandy
johnb_az
on 3/1/07 12:16 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the info. I am going to check out the Milk Thistle as I have elevated liver enzymes with stage 4 Chirosis. Doc http://www.myspace.com/az411
M. clarke
on 3/1/07 4:07 am
Doc. You should put up some of your photography on your site. I love photography too, and would love to see your pictures.
desert rat
on 3/1/07 9:25 am - Goodyear, AZ
Sandy, My liver enzymes have been elevated for the past two lab tests, 6 months ago they were 60, now they're 80. Still on the low end of high but rising. Of course the first thing out of the nurse's mouth was "do you drink?" I told her NO but I could tell she didn't believe me and had no other suggestion as to the cause. My doc wants to wait 90 days and run the test again. Research indicates that it could be too much Tylanol so I have stopped my nightly dose of Tylanol PM. A nutritionist told me to ask my doc to do an ultra-sound of my gall bladder... First, I have to wait the 90 days but I'm curious, do you know why your liver enzymes are elevated and what exactly can milk thistle do to fix things? Thank you so much for sharing all of your knowledge. Dj
Arizona_Sun
on 3/1/07 10:02 am - Gilbert, AZ
Tylenol does it to me. I can go weeks and weeks w/o tylenol and then have a series of headaches just before labs are due again. I have not had a normal ALT since WLS. The milk thistle does help keep my numbers lower. I have had the ultra sound done on my stomach (gallbladder, liver, etc.). Gallbladder was taken 13 months post-op. I have to watch any medication that has a "liver" warning with it. Anti-fungals will really get my liver enzymes up there. Do the ultrasound to make sure nothing is showing. I have not asked for a biopsy because I have heard of many post-ops with the same issue and biopsies show nothing. I do monitor my liver enzymes every three months. Oh, a nurse who thinks drinking is the only cause for such a problem needs to go back to school. Sandy
desert rat
on 3/1/07 10:50 am - Goodyear, AZ
Thanks Sandy. You're the best! I was taking quite a bit of Tylenol so hopefully by cutting it out, the enzymes will return to normal. I'll let you know. Dj
Most Active