Tricare Prime

tml
on 3/5/07 1:58 am
Sorry. Yes I mean plastic surgery. My 5 year old son was bugging me when I typed my response. So i forgot to type surgery. lol
vquigley
on 3/1/07 11:29 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Celeste, I have Tricare Prime and had surgery last summer. Tricare will pay for the RNY but they will not cover Lapband. Unfortunately, there are not many surgeons, at least in the Phoenix area, that will accept Tricare. Dr. Newhoff was accepting it but he retired at the end of December. Dr. Simon, who was his partner, is taking over Dr. Newhoff's patients and when I asked about Tricare and whether or not Dr. Simon is going to accept Tricare, his office staff said no. I believe Dr. Villares is accepting Tricare but you would have to check it out. You can research all the doctors on Tricare's website to see whether or not they are providers. Also, I found that if you have several co-morbidities, you should not have any problem being approved. BTW, once I did all the paperwork, preliminary testing, Tricare approved me pretty quickly. I was surprised as well as pleased. (That's 'cause I did have several co-morbidities.) Good luck! Virginia
Celeste B.
on 3/1/07 11:53 pm - SAN TAN VALLEY, AZ
Hi Virginia, That is so exciting.How are you doign after your sugery. Sounds like everything went okay. I don't have many (if any qualifying co-mobidities). I just have massive migraines, pains in my knees and back pains. Nothing that has been diagnosed or anything, but there is a history of me going to the doctor for migraines. Did you have to do this diet plan for 6 months? How long after your approval was your surgery? Sorry, if I am asking too many ?'s..... Talk to you soon Celeste
vquigley
on 3/2/07 11:48 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Celeste, I'm actually doing very well. I've lost 92 lbs and just joined a gym today to see if I can kick up my weight loss a notch--I've been on a plateau the last several weeks. I did not have to do a six month diet plan but when I approached my PCP about getting a referral I handed him a list of all the diets, diet pills, etc. that I had tried over the last several years. You're testing my memory about when I was approved . . . I think I was approved in April and surgery was July 31 at Phoenix Memorial Hospital. I will tell you that the pain in my knees has pretty much gone away--still have a few twinges but not like I did before surgery. Diabetes is gone and high blood pressure is getting there (I'm not taking medication for either). My asthma is much better, don't think I've used an inhaler in months (except for medical tests). No more huffing and puffing and I can almost keep up with my daughter. My lungs are much better. I feel like I have a life now instead of slowly dying. I'm really grateful to have had the surgery. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Good luck, Virginia
526Liberty
on 3/11/07 5:41 am - AZ
I decided to pursue GB in late November and I now have my surgery date for this March 27 with Schwartz inTucson (Foothills Surgery). I have Tricare Prime, and the delay was due to my local post records office not following through with faxing items in a timely manner and of course the holiday season. It was pretty straightforward. Do A then B then C. What is great is that my local post (Ft. Huachuca) has Nurse Smallwood. She went though the surgery herself and is the unofficial point of contact at the post for those interested in the surgery. She is a treasure trove of real knowledge and experience. Had I gone to my PCM I am sure I would still be trying to get approval. Good luck!!
Most Active