Hi

johnb_az
on 2/22/07 1:13 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi all, I was told about this site from a fellow bypass patient of Dr. Blackstone. I just wanted to say hello. I had my surgery Feb.9th 2007. I was pretty apprehensive as the Dr. told me that I was high risk and if I bleed she might not be able to stop it. I was told that one month before my surgery and did everything I could to make my surgery less complicated so I lost 19 lbs in that month. During the surgery everything on the bypass went well but when removing my gall bladder I started to bleed. Dr. Blackstone had to open me up for finishing that procedure. I can not tell you how much I appreciate her and her staff for giving me a second chance at life. I was told by my primary doctor that with the disease I had I would be dead in about 10 years. I have come to find out that I have level 1 fatty liver with stage 4 Chirosis. I am not a drinker and was told I had "Medibolic syndrome" driven by my diabetes. I had become insulin resistant last August and was put on Byetta in Sept. once I figured out what was going on with me. I know, I now check my sugers daily. I have lost a total of 25 lbs. so far, 19 pre-op and 6 since my surgery. Thanks for the read, John
M. clarke
on 2/22/07 3:19 pm
John. Welcome to the Board. What a frightening situation you were in!!! Congrats on joining the "losing" side. 25 lbs is a great!!! Way to go! Are they hopeful then that with losing weight that the diabetes can get under control? What about the liver? Is that reversible? Dr. Blackstone is a wonderful surgeon! I think you were blessed to have her in the situation you were in. She was also my doctor and I wouldn't have traded her for the world. I hope to see more posts from you. This is a great site.
Wendella
on 2/22/07 3:21 pm - Mesa, AZ
Good Luck on recovery. I had Dr. Kieran an associate of Dr. Blackstones and she was AWSOME. That was almost 2 yrs ago and 1/2 of me. Just follow her program step by step and u will do great. If U have any questions shoot me a line. Sometimes it is a little shorter of a wait then waiting for the Dr. to get back with u (just remember I can only tell U from my experiences). But they are great over there. Best of luck for the future.
johnb_az
on 2/22/07 4:16 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the support. Melissa, my Diabetes is doing very well. By the second day post op I was off all my diabetic meds. I am now only on one BP med vs. three. Unfortunately the liver disease is not reversable, but I am hopeful it won't get any worse. Only time will tell on that. I have enough energy to usual accomplish some task that takes 2 to 4 hours but then I am shot for the rest of the day. I usually have to sleep in the afternoon on my treadmill days. It is still better than I used to be. When I was working I would want to cry during a 12 hour shift and it would take me 2 days to recover. Wendella, thanks for being available for questions. I like that Harley you have there. Does your hubbby ride also?
M. clarke
on 2/23/07 7:14 am
John, That is exciting that you've seen the difference in your diabetes already. I'm sorry about the liver. It is good that your no longer doing damage to it. I understand your frustration on not being able to work. It can get very depressing. Hopefully losing the weight will be helpful for you and allow you to do the things you want to do again You are going to do fantastic!
JRinAZ
on 2/22/07 10:49 pm - Layton, UT
Congrats on the great weight loss start John! .....Check out a 25 pound bag of dog food and let the visual amaze you! You'll be ditching all kinds of meds before you know it and hopefully those wicked blood sugar highs and lows will even out! I was taking 11 different meds and was on insulin as a pre-op. These days I just take a BIG handful of vitamins each day! LOSER'S totally rock! ...... Hopefully you'll have some amazing labs in a hurry! Keep us posted! Joyce
Sandy in Tucson
on 2/23/07 12:09 am - Tucson, AZ
Welcome, John. I love your motorcycle. If you follow the program, to the letter you will reach goal in no time. Sandy 200 lbs down
desert rat
on 2/23/07 3:40 am - Goodyear, AZ
Welcome John! Your surgery date was my birthday so now you will always remember me and I will remember you!! My husband, Earl, had RNY with Dr. Blackstone on Monday the 5th of February. As of today he has lost over 30 lbs. You'll be right there with him in no time!! He will have to tell you what meds he was/isn't on. I too had Dr Blackstone nearly 20 months ago, I'm at goal and couldn't be happier. She is one fabulous technician!!! Stick to her program, keep coming here for support and find a support group to join. I really believe that support is the key to success. If you're a westsider, we have a Saturday morning group at 92nd Ave & Thomas. Let me know & I'll give you all of the details. Best of luck!! Dj
K B (Tucson)
on 2/23/07 12:30 pm - Tucson, AZ
As you lose weight (and add excercise), you will become more healthy. Hopefully, you will expereince much improved health very soon. Good luck.
Nicole W.
on 2/23/07 12:37 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi John, Congrats on your surgery and your weight loss! Enjoy the body changes and how well you will start feeling in the next few weeks and months. One of my friends was no longer dependent on her diabetes medication within the first month. It is amazing! One of the guys that was in my classes as a pre-op with Dr. Blackstone, the weight was just falling off of him. We have had more men in our support group meetings lately. Have you attending the groups at SBC yet? If you can, definately come. I will be in the next class starting next week... 4 months and Beyond, but the Pre-op to 3 Months is great because you can share you successes and what works for with your fellow post-op and pre-ops. Again, Congrats! Welcome to the site! ~Nicole
Most Active