Stalling? Yikes!

MARY OTU
on 2/22/07 4:46 am - PHOENIX, AZ
OK, I need some words of advice and encouragement. I have lost 60 lbs since surgery. Now I have stalled out on my weight loss. Even went up 2 lbs! I am only 4 1/2 months out and have 30 lbs to go. What am I doing wrong? How do I get this started again? I have vowed to stay off the scales till Monday so I do not go crazy but now THAT is making me crazy too! I am afraid to weigh but afraid not to weigh as well. The fear that I will be the one that this does not work for is haunting me. Help! Mary
desert rat
on 2/22/07 8:26 am - Goodyear, AZ
Mary, When my weight loss slowed, I got onto FitDay and started logging EVERYTHING! I found that even though my calories were low, my protein was low as well. So, although it was not what my surgeon's program was, I started doing protein supplements and raised my daily protein intake above 80 grams. Sometimes it would be as high as 120 grams per day depending on what I was able to eat. The weight started to come off again and I never hit another "plateau." PROTEIN really was my savior but it took logging it on Fitday to know what I needed to do. Just as an aside, my hair quit falling out and started growing back. It really proved to me that the need for protein cannot be under estimated. Best of luck, Dj
M. clarke
on 2/22/07 9:14 am
Thanks for the tip on fitday. I've been making my own spreadsheets on excel. I'm going to buy their software.
desert rat
on 2/23/07 3:15 am - Goodyear, AZ
Melissa, Don't buy the software until you are sure you like the site! I bought it after having been on the site for about a year but I don't use the one I bought. I like being able to access it from the internet. That way I can enter "stuff" when I'm away from home. Best of luck, Dj
lemarie22
on 2/22/07 12:59 pm - Glendale, AZ
Mary, When I was 6 months out, I hit the mother of all plateaus. It lasted almost 3 months. The first six weeks of that I lost not a single ounce. Over the next 6 weeks, I lost 3 pounds. I logged my food on Fitday, I upped my protein, I increased my exercise, I decreased my exercise. I increased calories, I decreased calories. I drank enough water to drown a fish. I bought a new scale. I did everything except quit. The battle of wills between me and the scale became pretty comical. Every morning I would pad down the hall, take off every stitch of clothing, pee, try to pee again, pull the scale exactly three tiles out from the wall (previouly proven to be the floor space to weigh me the lightest), empty my lungs of all air and gingerly step up on the scale. And then the cussing started. The dog sat in the doorway, tail wagging while the cats sat on the counter and yawned every morning as I went through the ritual. At the end of 12 weeks, the Scale Gods finally blessed me and I lost 5 pounds over night. I whooped so loud that the dog peed on the floor and all three cats ran over the top of the poor dog to get out of the bathrrom. The weight started falling off after that. If you're eating right, getting in your water and protein, this will pass. It's frustrating, but hang in there. Connie
dfavre
on 2/22/07 4:10 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Connie, you are sooooo funny!!!!!! I almost joined the dog and peed myself laughing!!!
JRinAZ
on 2/22/07 10:42 pm - Layton, UT
Oh my gosh Connie! Are you my twin or what???? (darling brunette version of course! ) ....only thing to add to my routine would be the long distance shout from somewhere in the house..."Honey? Are you on that scale again?????"!!!!! Yup! Plateaus can totally stink but just hang on....our bodies MUST give it up if we are living right! Mother Nature will eventually wave her magic wand and let the melting continue! Hang on Mary! Lightweights have their own set of unique challenges! Plateau Breaker= Increase - Exercise, water, protein, patience Decrease - Salt, cheeses (including cottage cheese), carbs, calories, trips to the scale! and.....use a measuring ttape so that a different set of numbers can measure your progress. I used to keep pulling on a tight pair of jeans.....when they were loose; I'd buy another pair of tight jeans and continue the journey...... Hugggzz, Joyce
MARY OTU
on 2/22/07 10:59 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Al my "girls', Thanks,thanks,thanks. I know I am not alone. Connie, you really made me laugh and everyone's words of encouragement sure have helped me see what I need to focus on. Fitday here I come! Mary
Nicole W.
on 2/23/07 12:43 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Mary, You are looking beautiful! Down 60lbs that is wonderful. I have been bad lately and been getting on the scale everyday this week because it has moved, so I vowed that I wont get on until Monday. I have been sick and drinking tons and tons of water and I think I am retaining it. I noticed once I beefed up my excercise and cut the amount of cheese I was eating in half, the scale moved. I also started drinking my protein shake again... I wasn't drinking them because I was getting in my protein thru food. Don't have the fear that the surgery won't work... you have lost 60lbs, it worked! ~Nicole
moirap
on 2/23/07 1:09 pm - Mesa, AZ
Even if you dont lose pounds you are still losing. I go back and forth pounds then inches. I feel like I dont lose both at the same time. I think when we lose weight as rapidly as we do our bodies need to catch up. I get more people tell me I have lost more weight when I plateau. Now keep in mind this is not scientific but just what I have noticed. I also notice changes in the way my clothes fit when I plateau. 4 months ago I tried on size 14 jeans and they were so tight I figured I will wait before I buy them. I have plateaued for 2 months and I then fit into size 11 1 month ago and they were snug but fit, now they are a bit loose. Just follow the rules. Good luck you are doing great
Most Active