Being prepared

dispatcheraz
on 2/12/07 11:49 pm - Prescott, AZ
I noticed that some of you stated you had to have a Pap and other tests. Are there any that I can knock out now and just have the results turned over to SBC or do I have to wait until I get an acutal surgery date? Maybe the answer is already on this site, I'll keep looking. Anyone use Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona? How was the process?
carolem
on 2/13/07 1:42 am - Austin , TX
If you know who you want for your surgeon you can probably have them email you a specific list. I think after you fill out a health history for them they fine tune it for you. One test for sure would be a mamogram, as well as pap, unless you've had a hysterectomy. You'll have a chest xray, cardiac stress test with nuclear medicine, as well as a echo cardiogram, the lab work doesn't come until your about 30 days out from surgery, I think that's when they want the chest xray as well. They will do a psych evaluation, but they will refer you to a psych doctor. Other tests can be ordered just depending on how these look. If you have any breathing problems there could be a pulmonary evaluation ordered. All the tests can take a couple of months since you can't always get right in to have these done. You probably shouldn't get ahead of yourself too much, I know your insurance is used by a lot of people that have the surgery, but you want to be sure your plan doesn't have an exclusion or some sort of medically supervised diet that needs to be done first. The diet is something if required, would take 6 months. So I would start with my insurance co. They usually want a medical necessity letter from your PCP doctor to get things started. Hope it helps, wishing you success in this wonderful journey......
JEAN-NA
on 2/13/07 2:31 am
Keri A few of the tests depend on your age and general health conditions , As a women - you will definatley need the pap and mamogram. At your Initial appt - they will give you a list of additional test you need to have done,They could include sleep test, echo cardiogram, - stress test . Ultrasound of gallbladder - Dont worry ! they just want a complete picture of what they will be dealing with . I knocked mine all out in a couple appts .. You can help by obtaining complete medical records and taking them with you to the initial appt - they will pull out exactly what they need. *** sugestion *** always get and keep a copy of any medical test performed - and take with you to all appts - you never know when you will need em.
M. clarke
on 2/13/07 4:26 am
Keri. Great luck on this part of your journey. I understand from others here this can be a very rough period, getting insurance approval and jumping through all the hoops. Like the girls said I would wait for your doctor to order the tests as many of them have to be with in a certain time period of your surgery. Great luck on getting your approval and your surgery date! Keep us posted.
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 2/13/07 5:02 am - Tucson, AZ
I was not required to have a mammo or pap before surgery. It had not been a year since my last mammo and pap so that may have been the reason.
(deactivated member)
on 2/13/07 8:03 am - avondale, AZ
I had to a pap, but had done one within the last year so they just need my ob/gyn to send over the results. All the other pre-ops like chest xray, and cardio clearance, blood work had to be done within 30 days of the surgery. I know it's an exciting time, but don't get too far ahead of yourself because you may have to repeat something. Good luck with your journey. Danielle
Sherry61
on 2/13/07 12:20 pm - Tucson, AZ
The pap smear and mamogram has to be done within the last year. I would wait on all the other tests because they are very time sensitive. I have BCBC of AZ but it is a federal plan. Prior to January of this year they were not covering the lap band, but in January after SBC resubmitted my paperwork I got approved within 2 weeks. BCBS was very easy to work with. Even when they initially denied me because they didn't cover it I got a letter that actually seemed like they were almost sorry that they couldn't help me with it. I have been very lucky with the approval process.
M. clarke
on 2/13/07 1:05 pm
I think the mammogram might depend on age. I wasn't required to have a mammogram; however I was required to have the pap smear. So unless you normally have a mammogram you might want to wait on that and see if its ordered. No sense in putting your boobies through all that smooshing unless it is required.
Most Active