More questions from Maur

M. clarke
on 2/11/07 6:46 am
Maureen, I have tarsal tunnel and bone spurs. It has absolutely gotten better with the weight loss. I also have ****ydynia so I understand the back pain also. Unfortunatly that hasn't gotten any better with the weight loss and the doctors had warned me prior that it was a nerve problem and not a weight bearing issue so it might not; however I do have degenerative disc disease (as most do) and the pain from that has improved greatly after surgery. I do still from time to time have flair ups with my ankles and feet from the tarsal tunnel which keeps me from walking for a few days, but over all it has gotten much better. I do have to wrap my feet and ankles when I walk to keep them extra strength and to keep the pressure off my heals. I was concerned about being able to walk after the surgery. Honestly I just had to suck it up and do it. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but its truth. You do have to just suck it up and do it, pain and all. I'm not sure if lapband has the same risks as RNY but as an RNY I had to walk to avoid blood clots. HOWEVER, it did get better quickly. I lost 21 pounds the first week, plus the 15 i gained during surgery so 36 pounds total. That helped tremendously as it was mostly all water retention. Losing all tha****er did wonders for my joints, and the tarsal tunnel. Even my boyfriend remarked that I was walking better just a week after surgery then I was before the surgery. So yes you are going to feel much better once you start losing the weight. It may not all go away, but you will feel better and you should be able to do some things like walking that you couldn't before. You will be amazed at how much better you feel. Losing the water gain, and detoxing your body of all the sugar and fat alone will make you feel more energized and less painful.
Maureen O.
on 2/11/07 7:22 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi Melissa, What do you wrap your feet with? I am ready to wrap my feet in bubble wrap to take a walk. I bought all kinds of heel cushions and inner soles for my shoes, nothing helps. I even had custom orthdotics made. I would love to walk more if my feet didn't hurt so bad. Maureen
M. clarke
on 2/11/07 9:38 am
Maureen. I had the custom ones made too. That helped a lot, but they are worn out now and I can't afford new ones right now. They are so expensive and my insurance wouldn't cover. I use ace bandages and wrap them around the arch area of my foot and then around my ankle so that the heel is lifted a little bit off the ground and it dosen't get as much pressure that way. I'm sure an orthopedic surgeon wouldn't recommend this, LOL, but it works for me and allows me to walk more and further. None of those store bought cushions worked for me either. My boyfriend buys them and he likes them. I know it is frustrating, and I understand how hard it is to exercise through chronic pain. My doctor just told me it is time to do more then walking, and that walking isn't enough anymore. That was tough to hear because I am still in so much back pain. So I am going to make an appointment with the exercise people and see what recommendations they can give me. I would love to take water aerobics, but am not sure where to go to take that. I have to research it. Anyone in Scottsdale area know of a place that does water aerobics?
Most Active