More questions from Maur

Maureen O.
on 2/10/07 11:51 am - Glendale, AZ
I have been reading these posts and a lot of you talk about drinking protein. Do lap band patients also need to drink protein? I'm a little confused because someone told my husband they had to drink it two weeks before the surgery. No one told me I needed to do that yet and it wasn't mentioned at the pre-op class. Also, any tips on losing 10% of excess weight before surgery? I am trying to do that now and lucky I have a month to do it. Thanks in advance, Maureen
M. clarke
on 2/10/07 11:58 am
Maureen, Dr. Blackstone doesn't require you to drink the protein before the surgery. All the doctors do it a little bit differently.
M. clarke
on 2/10/07 11:58 am
Maureen, Dr. Blackstone doesn't require you to drink the protein before the surgery. All the doctors do it a little bit differently.
M. clarke
on 2/10/07 11:59 am
that was weird it posted my reply twice ?
JRinAZ
on 2/10/07 12:30 pm - Layton, UT
Maureen, Typically, LapBand patients do not need protein supplements. They do NOT have any malabsorption issues. However, depending on a person's BMI, the surgeon may require a protein supplemental diet prior to surgery to insure the safest surgery possible. If the BMI is very high then a fast weight loss will get some quick fat off of the vital organs i.e. the liver. High protein promotes healing as well and protein loading prior to any major surgery (and after) helps speed the healing process. I know that some LapBand patients like to drink protein drinks during their weight loss journey to rev up their protein count and to use as a healthy meal substitute but it's not usually a requirement. As for your 10% in a month? Atkins induction phase melts the pounds right off and will jump start your ketosis losing for your post-weight loss surgery journey! You can Google "Atkins" and get the basics on line. It's like all the lean healthy protein you want to be satisfied but need to stay under like 14 carbs per day. Good luck! Joyce
desert rat
on 2/10/07 12:35 pm - Goodyear, AZ
Maureen, My understanding is that protein supplements are needed by anyone who cannot eat the amount of protein needed by the body. I am not a lap-bander but logic tells me that you will need protein supplements as well. As for the 10% diet: My favorite "diet" before surgery was Weigh****cher's because it was a simple "counting" system. "Everything in moderation." Keep your calories at or below 1200, keep your fat at less than 20%, log everything in FitDay or something similar and walk, walk, walk, walk. 10% for me was over 30 pounds and I could never have done that in 30 days but any loss is good for you so go for it and good luck. Dj
K B (Tucson)
on 2/10/07 1:03 pm - Tucson, AZ
I have the band and becasue I am usually very restricted in the morning, I start the day with a high protein drink. I also don't like to eat in the morning. I get 20 (or more per drink0 gm of protein or 1/3 of my daily needs at one sitting. Many bandsters are very tight in the AM and do as I do. There is no reason not to add protein drinks to your diet to increase your overall protein intake with the band, but we should be eating solid foods as our primary source of nutrition.
Nicole W.
on 2/10/07 5:27 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Definately follow what they told you in your pre-op class. LapBand do not have the same program as RNY's... You will eat different foods faster than the RNY patients and will not have the same kind of reactions to food as we do. You will also have a different diet and will not be restricted with certain stuff... you can always email the dieticians at the office when you have questions about foods, they are very quick to respond. [email protected] don't do the protein drinks before, you will probably hate them after surgery, as your tastes change. As for losing the 10% before surgery, cut out the white foods and fried foods... cut the pasta, rice, flour, enriched flour, fast food, foods high in fat... etc.
dfavre
on 2/11/07 3:43 am - Maricopa, AZ
Nicole, I wish cutting out those foods were that easy! That's what got me into this mess to begin with ...LOl. I still have a month and 1/2 to go yet (before surgery), so I gotta figure something out as well. It's just so hard with work, two little ones, and going to school...ugh. Did anyone start thier drinks before sugery, just to get used to the idea? Was it successful? Dawn
Maureen O.
on 2/11/07 6:05 am - Glendale, AZ
Thanks Nicole, I am going to make my list of questions to email to the dieticians. It's hard to know what to do when so many people tell you different things. I have done weigh****chers before so I will use that to lose my 10% since I am familar with that diet. I really only have 10 Lbs. to lose which shouldn't be too difficult. I appreciate everyone replying to me. I'm gald I found this message board with such a great bunch of people. My biggest problem is exercising since I had spinal fusion. Also, it's difficult for me to walk because I have Plantar Fascitis. Does anyone else have foot problems??? I feel like I'm a mess with eveything that aches me. Hopefully my aches and pains will go away after I lose weight. Maureen
Most Active