How much time off??

Sherry61
on 2/5/07 11:11 am - Tucson, AZ
I was wondering if anyone knows how much time Dr. B gives for sick leave after having the lap band. Noreen had said only one week. I was hoping for a 6 week break from work just to relax and really get into my new eating and exercise habits. I was thinking that I would use the excuse of getting used to a new lifestyle without added stressors but then I remembered the dietician said I was suppose to start right after my first appointment! My "dieters mentality" kept telling me to wait until after I got approval from the insurance then it told me to wait until I got a confirmed date. If I would have started strong from my first appointment I wouldn't need the surgery. Yeah right. I am really trying to motivate myself to get started. It is so hard! It really helps to read the messages that everyone posts--One day at a time!!
Susanbs4
on 2/5/07 11:47 am
I had lap RNY with Dr. B. No complications and I have a desk job...I was ok'd for four weeks but I was told she has changed it to 3 weeks. I don't think 6 weeks, assuming no complications, is realistic. I think Noreens statement of a week is what she is oking for lap band. Sorry.....but I know there are some new lap banders on this board so I am sure you will get the best info from them.
Nicole W.
on 2/5/07 12:23 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
1-2 weeks for lap-bands... 4-6 weeks for RNY's
diamanti1
on 2/5/07 10:34 pm - Peoria, AZ
Wife and I both had LAP RNY and I was off work for 1 week and back to traveling in 2 weeks. Wife was off work for 2 weeks. We personally found that once we got back to work....and somewhat of normality of life we started to feel much better. Kind of like making sure you get your walking and water in....the more you do the better you feel. Sorry...probably not what you wanted to hear..... Dave 411/195/170
pwrightt
on 2/5/07 11:06 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
HI Sherry: With Dr.Juarez he starts his RNY patients at 4 weeks off. I am assuming since the Lap Band is not so evasive there time off is shorter. To let you know I did ask my doctor for an additional two weeks off. I had very low fatique and did not fill physical able to go back to work. After examining and talking to me he also only agreed at that time 2 more weeks would do me good. The office staff told me its case by case. I am so glad I did have that extra two weeks. I am now almost 6 weeks post op and this past week I really have felt my energy come back. I now fill able to go back to work this Monday.
Mikkilynn
on 2/6/07 4:00 am - Mesa, AZ
I just received my surgery paperwork from Dr Blackstone's office and it states that she will approval leave for 3 weeks for gastric bypass and I believe 1 week for lap-band.
vquigley
on 2/6/07 1:03 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, Sherry, When I had my surgery with Dr. Newhoff (I had open RNY) he said I would be off 4-6 weeks. I actually pushed for the six weeks because I needed a break from work. But seriously, it was during weeks 5 and 6 that my energy level started to increase and where I did not have to have a nap every day. But, every person is different. Good luck to you. Virginia
susancas
on 2/9/07 8:19 am - Peoria, AZ
I had 1 week off after my lap-band too, and luckily, that ran right into Thanksgiving so I had an extra 2 days You are really back to normal after a week, for the most part. I went to Hawaii on vacation 2 weeks post-op, and aside from having a hard time finding liquids to eat when I was out with friends, i felt TERRIFIC! 6 weeks is a bit unrealistic.
Sherry61
on 2/9/07 10:28 am - Tucson, AZ
I know 6 weeks sounds unrealistic--but I have the sick leave and figured I could "milk" it for awhile and get alot of things done that have been piling up. Oh well-- I deal with whatever--I will just be so glad to get it done and start being able to do things much easier!!
Nicole W.
on 2/9/07 11:08 am - Cave Creek, AZ
From my experience... I had to use 5 days of vacation/sick time first then I was eliglble for short term disability thru my companies insurance company. They required paperwork from my surgeon stating what kind of surgery I had and when I could return back to work, they were in constant contact with the surgeon, especially when my leave was extended one week. That insurance company paid me in base salary for the month I was out and I was protected under the FMLA laws. Not sure who you work for but most companies have strict rules, unless you decide to take 5 weeks of your personal time.
Most Active