Question for you...how low can your BMI be to have lap-band surgery?

carolem
on 2/5/07 3:06 am - Austin , TX
A lady in my office has been calling around and is being told her BMI is right on the edge of the cutoff for approval. She's looking for a primary care doctor that is bariatric friendly as well, her's is not. Can anyone help with this? Some of you have been around so much longer with this than I have and just know these things. I'm at my office today, things are going okay. I'm a little tired and my incisions hurt some, but they seem to hurt every day by the afternoon. I'm getting more walking in, my left shoulder still hurts, off and on. I'm not coughing nearly as much so that's cleared up. I'm not hungry, the amount of food is working for me and this part of the diet doesn't bother me. Sometimes when it's so limited its better, keeps you out of trouble! Anyway, I'm looking for a new primary care doctore myself as mine moved to Glendale and I work in Chandler and live in Southeast Gilbert. Any suggestions?
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/07 3:17 am - AZ
Sorry Carole, I would recommend my pcp but she is in Peoria. She really wasn't that up on my surgery either, but I didn't care. I went through with it anyway. I acutually did my 6 mo at SBC, my ins covered some of it....Good luck to your friend. And glad to hear you did well and are recovering nicely...Have a great week Erin
JEAN-NA
on 2/5/07 3:51 am
Carole Sounds like your doing great! Keep up the good work. I have heard Dr Kimberly Lucas in Mesa/ Tempe area is very bariatric friendly. She is on Southern / price area. I have heard nothing but good things about her.
carolem
on 2/5/07 3:58 am - Austin , TX
Thanks Jean
Sharon Martinez
on 2/5/07 4:07 am - Mesa, AZ
Hi Carole, Glad to hear that you are doing so well...things are actually going great for me and I'm 4 days post-op. I would like to reccomend the best PCP I have ever had in my life....and I have had a few! His name is Dr. Pedro Martinez...from Hope Medical Institute. Three days a week he focuses mainly on diabetes, thats how I first got him. But two days a week he deals with non diabetic patients. He has a wonderful personality and is a great person! He does expect you to do what you need to when you're sick or whatever (i say that cause some drs dont care) And in my case when I was diabetic, he made me sign a contract that I would start taking my sugar like I was supposed to and get all my blood tests taken that he had been waiting months for. He will tell you straight up, he wants to be your Dr. but if you dont give him 100% how can he treat you 100%. He will tell you that if you cant do what he asks to make you a healthier happier person, then you will need to find another Dr. as your health is his biggest concern! He's an awesome Dr. and like I said, very personable. I know you will love him. Oh, and his office staff are just awesome!!!! Well, here is his number and address..... Dr. Pedro Martinez 4540 E. Baseline Rd. Suite 114, Mesa, AZ 85206 Phone 480-633-0294 Hope that helped a bit. Sharon
Linda S.
on 2/5/07 4:17 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I just wanted to say hey girl! Long time no see. Hugs!
carolem
on 2/5/07 4:52 am - Austin , TX
Hey Linda! How's it going with you?
Linda S.
on 2/5/07 9:58 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Things are well. I am so happy for you. I take pain pills sometimes, but mostly for chronic pain, still need knee replacement, but I am OFF all blood pressure meds! I have NO diabetic condition any longer and I do well, sometimes I eat too fast and I feel it when I do...ahh well...smile. I fell on my arse about a week ago, be careful, your center of gravity changes, by posting, I found that falling is not that uncommon. Hang in there sweet cakes!
jenniebr
on 2/5/07 9:01 am - queen creek, AZ
Hey Carole, Glad to see you up and walking and helping others!!! My PCP is in Tempe, Michael Tingey 480-730-5100, He is on Southern between Price and Dobson. His wife had RNY with Juarez a few years ago and I sent a few lapbanders to him as well as Todd and me. He is awesome about WLS. He has a great assistant that we love. Keep up the walking and that shoulder pain will be gone in a hurry. Let me know how things progress.... Jen
carolem
on 2/6/07 1:18 am - Austin , TX
Thanks for the referral, I'll check him out to see if he accepts United Healthcare.
Most Active