Throwing up and things getting stuck, when will it end

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/07 3:41 am - AZ
Hi guys, I know I have posted before regarding this. Food is still not going down smoothly. I don't think I have a stricture, but geez I am tired of taking a few bites that I have chewed and chewed, it getting stuck and me running for the bathroom. It happens pretty much everyday. I will be 7 weeks post op this Friday. I see Randy on 2-23 and I guess I can wait until then, but man food is really a turnoff. I drink my protien shake that has 32 gms of protien in, and struggle to get the rest of the days in. It's frustrating because when I eat something that makes me dump or it gets stuck, I don't want to eat it anymore. Well sorry to vent, but I want to eat and get my protien in but just can't. By the way I take vitamins and calcium(horsepills) no problem. So my question is When does food start going down smoothly ? Thank you very much for any advice....Erin Also, I saw my pcp on Friday and she said I am throwing alot of Keytones in my urine, isn't that normal, because we are burning fat (Ketosis)??? My pcp was concered so I call SBC and am waiting on a call back. Just curious if any of you have had that happen to you....
Darlene X
on 2/5/07 4:07 am - Maricopa, AZ
This isn't normal. You have a stricture.. You have all the symptoms. Why do you say you think you don't??
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/07 9:44 am - AZ
Hey Darlene, thanks for the advice. I guess I am saying that because, I swallow the pills ok, but food just seems to not go down too well. I spoke to the dietitian and she I should go for liquids for 24 hrs then see how I do, so I'll try it....thanks again and when do we get to see some more of your beautiful artwork???? Take care, Erin
Darlene X
on 2/5/07 11:18 pm - Maricopa, AZ
It doesn't matter if you can swallow a pill... You have a stricture-- MAKE them get you in sooner... otherwise you could end up extremely sick like my Hubby did. Don't take any of that "liquids for 24 hours" crap....
dfavre
on 2/5/07 3:32 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Hey, what is a stricture and how do I aviod getting one after surgery? -Dawn
Darlene X
on 2/5/07 11:23 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Dawn, When you have RNY, the section where they attach your stomach/pouch back to your intestines is called the stoma (essentially the exit from your pouch). Because that area is cut, and sewn back... it has the potential for scar tissue to grow. In some people, too much scar tissue grows, and restricts the exit/decreases the stoma's diameter... the stoma is not big enough, so food get's stuck, makes you sick etc... that is a stricture... it is a minor complication, and a very eay fix..... unless (Like the girls posting on this thread), you keep putting it off, and don't go to your surgeon to get the stoma stretched to it's correct size. You can't do anything to avoid it-- either you get a stricture or you don't... 5 people in my family have had Lap RNY, out of us all... only my husband developed a stricture. My surgeon say's a normal stoma is about 12-15mm's in diameter... Hubby's was only 8mm's when he got it fixed... because it was too small, water and food hurt going down, took too long and just generally made him sick.
Nicole W.
on 2/5/07 4:08 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Stricture! Fair skinned and blonde hair... we are pre-disposed to them! hehe Couldnt hurt to call the office and bring it up again. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a slight stricture. I discovered the discomfort with food going down kinda went away around 10-12 weeks. I hardly have discomfort anymore and it is so much easier to eat now! How you doing otherwise??? Hope to see you soon! ~Nicole
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/07 9:56 am - AZ
Hey Nicole, how have you been. I'm doing ok. This food thing is frustrating, and I get tired pretty easy. Other then that doing fine, hubby and kids are great and supportive. Work is peachy!!! I will bring it up with Randy when I see him. I just might have a slight one. I'll be glad to hit the 10-12 week mark, when things start settling down stomach wise. Thank you for the pictures they were great!!! I do hope to make a meeting soon. Take care for now....Erin
M. clarke
on 2/6/07 5:23 am
Erin, just don't get to excited bout that week 10-12. I only say that because I was looking forward to the same thing. They kept telling me that around week 12 my stomach would settle down. Well I'm into week 15 now, and well.. you know the situation. I just don't want you to be too to disappointed like I was if it isn't better after that point. When I first got this surgery I kept thinking also.. after month 4 I will be able to eat what I want. Now I just keep telling myself maybe in a year I will be able to eat again. I just hope I'm not too disappointed in a year again. And YES ladies I do have an appointment with my doctor on Thursday and I will insist that they check for a stricture Thank you all for sharing your situations and I will follow up with my doctor. It makes me feel better to know what you have all been through, and gives me something to argue with when he insist that this is all normal and I don't have a stricture Even if it isn't a stricture it will be good to look and know for sure what I am or am not dealing with. It sure would be nice if it was a stricture and this could be fixed. I would really like to feel somewhat like a normal person.
Nicole W.
on 2/6/07 5:37 am - Cave Creek, AZ
I have a secret to tell you.... You have a stricture! It would have gotten better around the 10-12th week, but you have Stricture! of course you are still miserable... did I not tell you I was going to remind you daily. ONCE, you have it fixed you will feel like a different person! you can run, but you can't hide... I slacked for a few days of nagging you. you can me now
Most Active