Has anyone had to take a smoke-free test?

dfavre
on 2/4/07 3:29 pm - Maricopa, AZ
I am going through recertification from UHC to Cigna. Recently, I have found out that they require a test to make sure their patients are smoke free for at least 90 days before surgery (even testing on the day of surgery). I was wondering if anyone has taken this yet, and how does it work? I work in a smoke filled enviornment and my husband smokes, so I don;t know how this will affect my results. Any advice would be appreciated! thanks gang! -Dawn
Nicole W.
on 2/4/07 3:50 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
I am pretty sure it's a urine test. If you are taking in second hand smoke, it's worse than smoking a cigarette yourself, your test will probably show positive, unless there is a particular range they know whether or not you are the smoker. it would be interesting to find out thou.
M. clarke
on 2/4/07 5:07 pm
Dawn. It depends on your insurance companies but certain ones allow a "certain" amount of chemical in your body in case - Get this- You are a cigar smoker! Isn't that interesting? Do you think perhaps there are some corporate executives on that board that smoke cigars who made the decision that you can't smoke cigarettes regularly but if you smoke the occasional cigar that will be okay. Kinda stinks of discrimination if you ask me. I think you should be fine if you are not smoking yourself. There is as much research showing second hand smoke has no effect on others as it does. I have added a blurb from some of the research below. Also there was a brief annoucement on the news this fall (And I mean very very brief! As they don't really want us to know this) that the results of some of the testing showing second hand smoke is so bad was actually altered. Meaning they lied to us. What their reports actually showed and they didn't tell us was that in order to be affected by second hand smoke you would have to be closed in a small room with no ventilation with a heavy smoker 24/7. Here is a conclusion of one investigation: CONCLUSIONS: Our results indicate no association between childhood exposure to ETS and lung cancer risk. We did find weak evidence of a dose-response relationship between risk of lung cancer and exposure to spousal and workplace ETS. Risks from combined exposure to spousal and workplace ETS were higher for squamous cell carcinoma and small-cell carcinoma than for adenocarcinoma, but the differences were not statistically significant. Does second hand smoking cause cancer or effect us? I have no idea! LOL. But I know they have been proven to fudge their reports, so that is enough to make me question it. And I would like them to provide us all the facts, not just one sided ones before I make up my mind. Not just because I think smokers are discriminated against unfairly, but because overweight people are next on their list!
JEAN-NA
on 2/4/07 9:40 pm
Dawn Dr Blackstone requires you to be smoke free prior to surgery and will cancel your surgery if you test posative. One of the biggest reasons to quit is that it is associated with gastric ulcers - And that is something you don't want to have after the bypass. Besides think of all the extra money you will have to go and buy new clothes ! BONUS ! I would call and ask a doctor or even the insurance company.. Best of Luck - I know changing companies is very hard.
dfavre
on 2/5/07 1:28 am - Maricopa, AZ
Thanks everyone. I don't smoke regularly (only when I have a couple glasses of wine in me..tee hee). So, it was definately the second hand smoke that was worying (sp?) me. I guess I will just have to cross my fingers and see what happens. I will keep ya'll posted. -DAwn
Most Active