A Note from New Mexico

gawump
on 2/2/07 6:16 am - Farmington, NM
Hello Arizona... Dr. Blackstone's "issues" have affected us here in the land of enchantment too. I am a patient of hers, and was also bumped. Rescheduling is a real nightmare because they have certain requirements for us out of state patients. I was supposed to come in on May 3 for my procedure, and now will have to wait until August 29th. "Upset" is not a strong enough adjective to describe my feelings on this issue... Richard
Maureen O.
on 2/3/07 5:35 am - Glendale, AZ
Sorry to hear that Richard. I am scheduled for March 8th and keeping my fingers crossed they don't bump me for any reason. If they do I will go to Dr. Simpson here in Phoenix. I can only imagine how "Upset" you are. Keep us posted on how things work out for you. Maureen
Nicole W.
on 2/3/07 6:16 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Richard, I can understand your fustration of your surgery date being postponed, especially since you have been waiting for this surgery for so long (I read your profile). However, I think Dr. Blackstone's "issues" are somewhat serious and important for her to handle. I know that she would not just cancel surgeries for the heck of it... there must be a valid reason and she has to take care of them. She is very emotional about her profession, her goal and mission is to help everyone she can... and you can see the passion in her, the way she takes care of her patients and how much she cares for you when under her care. She is one of the most thorough doctors I know... that shows something. The day she discharged me when I thanked her and hugged her, she cried with me and my mother... she is truly my angel. I have an appointment on Monday and I will ask what is going on since so many are affected but I doubt I will get an answer, as it is personal and none of my business, but I pray that she is not ill. But it is obviously something that she needs to take care because she is taking herself away from her practice. Now if you look at ANY surgeon or doctor, there is big money in that, regardless of the field. Who would in their right mind pull themselves away when they are making big bucks, especially when the demand for the surgery is so high. I doubt any doctor would unless something external is in the way... and I think that is the case for Dr. Blackstone. There were two patients from New Mexico when I had my surgery... Is there not any Bariatric surgeons in New Mexico? Me, personally if I had to wait 9 months to have the surgery, I would seek another surgeon in the Phoenix area, if that is an option for you. Dr. Blackstone would give you copies of all your medical tests, records and clearances for you to get approved elsewhere so you can have your surgery sooner. I hope for those that have been affected by this can find in their heart and mind to understand that life happens and even thou it sucks to be the ones affected and those postponed, sometimes its out of our hands. Good Luck to you! ~Nicole
gawump
on 2/5/07 3:38 am - Farmington, NM
Thank you Nicole, I do believe that Dr. Blackstone is a good surgeon; one does not have a center of excellence and a good reputation just because they want it. Those things are earned! I am also beginning to get over the shock and frustration that comes with this news. Of course it was all about "me" last week, because it had just happened. Now as my mind clears a little each day, I think 'there is something wrong in her life and I hope everyone is ok'. I sincerely hope that Dr. Blackstone and her family are ok, and that these "issues" get resolved. I would like to remain her patient, I really would... However I have issues and concerns in my life too, primarily a new baby on the way (and finding a way to support said child). With my co-morbidities and a discriminating town, it is very difficult to find work. Only time will tell what is to be my fate, but I am beginning to believe things will turn out for the best. I wish you continue success and happiness... Keep me posted will you? Richard I PS There are no Bariatric surgeons in New Mexico... there was one for a time at UNM Hospital, but he had to stop due to a high mortality rate. I have heard that Lovelace Hospital is trying to get a program up and running, but it has been 2 years and still nothing. Right now AZ and TX are the primary surgery centers for NM
Desertflower
on 2/5/07 1:14 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hi Richard, I am currently a patient of Dr. Blackstone's and I had to be re-scheduled last October. I had been approved by my insurance, but then found out there was an error and we had to start all over again! I am hoping that I will be re-submitted and be scheduled for my surgery in April. I do not blame the staff, although they should've been aware of insurance qualifications....they all have tried very hard to help me through this. I was devasted when they told me. I did not think I wanted to go through another failure. Dr. Evershad has taken me by the hand and is leading me back to sanity. Thank God. Yes, they are VERY busy in Dr. Blackstone's office, but I know they CARE about all of us. Sometimes, it is difficult to be patient. Wishing you the best! Robin in AZ
gawump
on 2/6/07 12:51 am - Farmington, NM
Robin, Thank you so much, it is nice to hear from someone who is going through similar things. I do not really blame the staff either, infact I continue to sing their praise even with my many set backs. Dr. Blackstone has surrounded herself with a top notch support staff. My experiance with the medical professionals is a little less convincing. I still have not formally met the doctor, and the Nurse that did my initial consult really couldn't answer all my questions. So although I am certain they do care, I have not felt any of that personaly. I continue to struggle with this setback and have begun to see a psychologist. Things will work out, I just may not be happy with the wait. Good luck on an April surgery. I hope they held a spot for you, because I was scheduled for May and have been moved to the end of August. However due to my wife's pregnancy I might end up with a October date (that was the soonest avalable as of yesterday). Good luck! I am sure it will all work out for you. Keep me posted on your sucess. Richard I.
Most Active