Really ticked off with Dr. B

Nicole W.
on 2/6/07 1:39 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Robin, Sounds like an insurance nightmare! At least you are on track now. I didn't meet Dr. Blackstone until my pre-op consult with her, 2 weeks before my surgery when she cleared me... she is so wonderful... she is straight-forward and tells you how it is and you can see the passion in her for this surgery and to help you. She is extremely motivating and encouraging. My mom had alot of fears of me doing this surgery and she really made my mom feel better. My after care has been great... Hospital stay with RNY is typically 2 nights, but Dr. Blackstone kept me another night because my white blood cell count was a bit elevated and I had some pain in my legs so she wanted to make sure I didnt have pneumonia or blood clots. She is very cautious of discharging you, she wants to make sure you are ready, not when the hospital is ready. Her and the nurse practioniers are very very thorough during all consultations and after-care. During my hospital stay, any concern you had was addressed and quickly. When I was home, you can call anytime for even the simplest question. You take a pre-op class at least one month before your surgery so you know what to expect at the hospital and the weeks after. One week after surgery you attend your one-week post op class... that is when you can start bringing in lean proteins and protein supplements. Then you have a one month class... 2 month, 3 month , 4 month and 6 months appointments with the staff. They spend a good amount of time with you, answering your questions in depth and make themselves consistently available. Even in phone calls, Randy or Melissa are very kind and understanding. Each time I have called even with a simple question (I called to see if I could take nyquil) they take the time to explain and give you alternatives. I had problems with 2 strictures a few weeks after surgery, I ended up back in the hospital under their care, because I couldnt keep water down and I was put in the bariatric floor and taken care of very well... same with my 2nd stricture. The dieticians, excercise people, everyone is easily accessible. Definately attend some support groups... they do help and give you lots of information, especially as a pre-op. But up until my pre-op appointment, I didn't see Dr. Blackstone either... but your experience with her will definately leave an impression on you for the rest of your life. She is my hero and my angel. Good Luck, Nicole
Nicole W.
on 2/1/07 10:05 am - Cave Creek, AZ
That really does suck... I hope it is nothing serious with her family thou. SBC is getting two new doctors, but that is not until June. Good luck in your search!
quiltz
on 2/1/07 11:08 am - Phoenix, AZ
How do you know SBC is getting 2 new doctors in June? I would be glad to have one of them in order to stay at Shea. Part of my problem is using doctors on my health plan....go figure! I'm trying to be calm about this mess and hope to find a workable solution soon. I was so looking forward to the April date that it is hard to be bumped another 3 months. Patience, Lord, and right now!
Nicole W.
on 2/1/07 11:16 am - Cave Creek, AZ
From Dr. Blackstone's newsletter that she sent out in early January. I also ask a crapload of questions when I go to the office.
cj29
on 2/1/07 11:08 am - Phoenix, AZ
I am sorry to hear your going through the waiting game; it's painful. My Dr. Steven Simon is the best and great staff. Call his off at AZ Bariatrics @602-264-0910 and do your research on him as I did. You'll find he has done over 2k WLS and has a high success rate. My only complaint is PHX Memorial Hospital wasn't the nicest place but clean. Best of luck, no matter what you decide. If you want, check my profile out. Carrie
Mikkilynn
on 2/1/07 8:44 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hi Marcia - I was approved for surgery the beginning of January and was told by that I should be scheduled for surgery by the beginning of Apil, but they were trying to get me in on March 22nd due to insurance issues. I was called two days later with a May 17th surgery date. When I questioned the change of dates, I was told that I was lucky to get in before June or July. Then two days ago, I was contacted again by Noreen (not even my scheduler) and was told, "Ok Michelle. were finally able to schedule your surgery for May 30th." I said what happened to May 17th? Her response was,"you're lucky that your not scheduled in August". Luckily, after hearing about a month ago that Dr Blackstone would not be taking UHC anymore, I scheduled an appointment with Dr Fang/Dr Juarez office. They couldn't even get me in until a month later on February 8th. After all these surgery date changes (my work is none too happy about the date changes!), I'm so glad that I scheduled my appointment with a new doctor. I was told that they should be able to get me into surgery within 2 months. If that's true, I will get my surgery with them at least 1 1/2 - 2 months earlier than I am scheduled with Dr Blackstone. I completely understand your frustration and hope that whatever you decide to do, is the best option for you! Take care, Michelle
carolina james
on 2/1/07 9:52 pm - mesa, AZ
I got the news yesterday that my April 10th date was moved to Sept 5. That won't work for me since I have UHC and SBC won't be accepting them after June. So, I guess I have to look for another doctor. Does anyone know how this will play out with the insurance company? Do you think I will have a problem getting an approval with a 2nd surgeon? Carolina
Darlene X
on 2/1/07 10:29 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Dr Fang & Dr Juarez @ The Bridges Center. 602-252-1510 Excellent surgeons!!!
jenniebr
on 2/2/07 1:19 am - queen creek, AZ
Call Paul at the Weightloss Institute of AZ 480-829-6100 or talk to Karen and tell her need an appt ASAP because you have ins approval already. www.wliaz.com is their website. They have a few patients that were approved with other docs that they got surgery dates in a few weeks out. One just had hers last week only waited 2 weeks total! They do surgeries on certain days and have clinic hours the other days. There are 2 docs Dr DeBarros and Dr Orris. They do lapband and RNY. They are both very good at what they do and always put the patient first! I may be biased since my hubby and I used them but I would never recommend them if I didn't trust them with my life! Good Luck Jen
Darlene X
on 2/1/07 10:35 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Dr Fang & Dr Juarez @ The Bridges Center. 602-252-1510 Excellent surgeons!!! It took 2 months from my initial consult to my surgery date.
Most Active