I am thinking of the lap-band, any advice????

lapbandfan
on 1/31/07 2:17 am - AZ
Hi, I am thinking of having the lapband done. I did some research but I want to get some feedback from others. I saw the lapband board but since I am in Arizona I thought it might be better to get feedback from people that are local. I have an appt with Dr DeBarros at the Weightloss Institute. Anyone else use him or know anything about him? I went to the info seminar and he seems very knowledgeable about the band. They have a support program and think everybody does. The office girls were nice and there was a patient there that lost over 100 lbs. I can't remember her name (if you are out there please email me). I would like to get pros and cons from actual patients on the RNY and Lapband. Any help is greatly apprieciated. Thanks, Missy
ginaq56
on 1/31/07 3:53 am
Hi Missy, I think that first of all you would need to meet with your physician and talk over the pros and cons of RNY vs LapBand. I went to the dr. thinking I wanted lapband and ended up having rny for a variety of reasons, but the most important one was because of the reason I was having surgery. Keep doing your research. You will come to the right decision for you. Gina
M. clarke
on 1/31/07 5:28 am
Which surgery you need depends on a lot. Your physical and mental health, how much you need to lose, how much control you need just to name a few. Lap band is much less invansive and has less risks of complication and death then the RNY, however RNY has better results statistically for weight loss. If you don't have much to lose and you only need a little bit of control the lap band might bet best for you. If you have more weight to lose and need more control the RNY may be better for you. There is a lot to consider. As Gina said the best thing for you to do is contact your physician and determine with him/her which is the best surgery for you. I am not familiar with your surgeon so he/she may do both surgeries. My only recommendation is that you chose a physician that does both surgeries since you are considering both. I have read on some websites that certain doctors are absolutely against the RNY, which goes to stand that they would steer patients away from the RNY. If you only want the lapband it doesn't matter. However if you want to consider both then it will matter. Also speak to your primary physician. They may be able to make recommendations for you also. I spoke with my primary about my options before I spoke to a weight loss surgeon also. Great luck in your decision. There are plenty of people here who have had both done and have been and are being very successful!
JRinAZ
on 1/31/07 5:49 am - Layton, UT
Rny positive for "me" - losing tons of weight quickly and getting off of meds fast! Rny negative for "me" - bounceback weight gain and having to "diet" all over again! .......If I could do it over again.....I would have an Rny with a silastic ring then the wide open stoma that I"m dealing with now wouldn't be an issue! I think the #1 Lap Band advantage to consider is that it is "adjustable" and that you can continue getting tweaked (called a Fill****il you reach goal weight and beyond! I would love to be able to hop into my doc's office now and get my surgery "reset" like the Bandsters can do. ....tough decision! Both surgeries work if you have enough education and desire to make your tool of choice successful! Good luck, Joyce P.S. I do not have personal experience with DR. DeBarros (as a patient) but have heard great things about him......let us know what you think.
jenniebr
on 1/31/07 6:36 am - queen creek, AZ
Hi Missy, I think I am the one you spoke to at the seminar. I am a huge fan of Dr. DeBarros! I credit him with the healthy life I have today. Weightloss is something we all need support with. Check out my profile and shoot me a message I would love to answer any questions you have. As for your choice of surgery types, only you can make that choice, listen to the doctor and do your research. I liked what Joyce said. I was the first in family/friends to get a band and several have followed. (one is getting a band as a revision to RNY). As for eating around your band, you can eat (or drink) around anything and gain weight. Either type is as effective as YOU want it to be. Good Luck, Jen
Most Active