Salads

pwrightt
on 1/30/07 4:29 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I'm starving for a salad. But I will only be 5 weeks post op as of tomorrow. So that I know is to soon to have one. When did everyone start eating a salad again? I think (if I can find it) my blue bible wants us to wait till we are 4 months out. That's a long time and I could really use the roughage (constipation). I already had one bad experience with the chicken so I want to be really careful on this.
Darlene X
on 1/30/07 4:32 am - Maricopa, AZ
I had a salad when I was exactly 5 weeks post-op. It was my first "normal food". Dr Fang released me to be able to eat anything as of 5 weeks post-op (No restrictions-- within reason). I had that book, but it's only a guide... Dr Fang let me go onto regular food much sooner than the book. Not sure what Juarez does...
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 1/30/07 5:13 am - Tucson, AZ
I am a Dr. Juarez patient and I started salads at 4 months. Believe me, I was dying for a salad. It was so good I ate salad for three days. Like Darlene, I did not end up following the "guide" either. I was on soft foods at two weeks.
Darlene X
on 1/30/07 5:48 am - Maricopa, AZ
It's not like I didn't follow the book... Dr Fang didn't LOL. When I had my 4 week follow up, he told me that when I was 5 weeks post-op I could move onto eating regular food. I was a little surpised (Happy but surprised)... I even questioned him, did I need to wait for steak & salad/raw veggies... and he told me no, I could move on and eat anything. I never had any issues... raw veggies never made me sick, salad sat just fine... ive never had any food problems.
pwrightt
on 1/30/07 8:32 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I love Dr. Fang. He was the doctor I saw who discharged me from the hospital. He had a very funny answer when I asked him about getting all my protein in. MY PERSONAL opinion I think Dr.Juarez can be a little more strict. Next week I will be 6 weeks post op and can slowly introduce regular food. It will be so hard to wait 4 months for a salad. I may see how I do on regular food and then call and asked him about salads. You're right Darlene. That blue book is more of a guide. I am just really craving a salad and vegetables.
pwrightt
on 1/30/07 8:36 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi Becky: Thank you for replying. How are you doing?
ginaq56
on 1/31/07 11:32 am
Becky, did you start the soft foods on your own? After one week of liquids I am ready to float away.
pwrightt
on 1/31/07 12:16 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
HI Gina: Both Becky and I have Dr.Juarez, same as you, but I too was put on purree foods at TWO weeks. I would ask Dr. Juarez first. The first week or so your tummy is very sore and you need to be very careful. To this day if I have a bad day (like when I ate the chicken) the next day I go back to a liquid diet to help my stomach. So far that has worked well.
ginaq56
on 2/1/07 12:01 am
Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow he is as receptive. So far the liquids have not been a problem so I'm anticipating the same with soft food. This board is so much help. Ty TY TY TY Gina
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 1/31/07 10:03 pm - Tucson, AZ
I had a two week follow up appointment and at that time Dr. Juarez told me that I could start on soft foods. The only problem I had was being too full in the evenings to eat dinner, so I started eating soup for dinner for awhile. It went down easier and I was able to eat something to get in my protein and nutrients. Everyone is different so just be patient and it will all work out.
Most Active