Protein Intake

M. clarke
on 1/29/07 8:10 am
Okay I am just curious now for those who are further out how many still have to drink protein drinks? I was under the impression that eventually that would stop, now I am getting the impression that protein drinks are pretty much forever.
Nicole W.
on 1/29/07 8:23 am - Cave Creek, AZ
I know my angel Melissa told me that she still does a protein supplement if she doesn't get all her protein in. It depends on the person, I know someone at work that doesn't use a protein supplement anymore.
lemarie22
on 1/29/07 9:04 am - Glendale, AZ
I usually don't do protein drinks and my labs are perfect, but I'm pretty diligent about eating protein first. When I had surgery, SBC did not recommend protein shakes and advised us to get all our protein in food form. A few months ago, I started doing a fiber shake every morning because I do have constipation issues and figured that I might as well throw in a scoop of protein powder as long as I was making a shake and call it breakfast. As long as I get in 70 to 90 grams of protein a day without supplements, I'm good. Connie
Arizona_Sun
on 1/29/07 10:13 pm - Gilbert, AZ
There is a yahoo based group called Graduate-OSSG where people who are 1 year out can post and share experiences, under that can lurk and learn. Anyway, a majority of the membership does protein shakes to make sure to get in their protein needs. Bottom line is that each of us has to track our prealbumin, albumin, and protein levels on a regular basis (I now do every 6 months, used to do every 3 months) and that will help guide you. Some people find that focusing on protein via food works just fine for them, many more find it does not. Unfortunately, I am suspicious that many people probably do not track all three labs to monitor their health over their new lifetime. Our body is resilient and makes do for a long time, but eventually it has no place to rob for what it needs and the damage shows up in lab work once it is much harder to fix. In my situation, I cannot absorb enough protein via food and must drink 3 - 30 gram shakes a day to keep my numbers up. An interesting side note is that my surgeon never tested my prealbumin and only tested my albumin/protein levels. I had my PCP order the huge list of labs on the graduate "suggested lab list" that included the prealbumin and copied my surgeon on it. Up until doing this my levels were in the lower side of normal and my surgeon said I was doing great. Ignorance is bliss. When he was copied on the lab list that included the prealbumin I received their "dummy" sheet telling me that I needed to increase my protein consumption. My other levels were where they had always been when they told me I was doing great. Oh, I call the sheet that the docs send out the "dummy" sheet because they do not include a copy of the lab work, they just tell you that you are doing great or increase this or decrease that. I have had too many times when the "dummy" sheet did not reflect the accurate state of things so I have a definite dislike of receiving the things. No worry now since my clinic has left Arizona and did not bother to refer me to another doctor should I need help. I want to see my lab work and I track my lab work to know what my body is really doing and if I need to change something. As a side note, my extensive semi-annual labwork involves 12-15 vials of blood. Sandy
MARY OTU
on 1/31/07 5:59 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Sandy, Can you post the "suggested lab list" here for us? Thanks, Mary
Arizona_Sun
on 2/1/07 10:32 am - Gilbert, AZ
Hi Mary - I did not realize you had requested teh suggested labs list until someone told me that you had posted. You can find the complete list on my website at www.acdlady.com/WLS_Labtests Sandy
Most Active