It's my 3rd day post op, I feel surprisingly good....

carolem
on 1/29/07 2:14 am - Austin , TX
Hi everyone, I've been so nauseated I couldn't bring myself to the computer, but I feel better today. My shoulder was killing me last night, but that heating pad I bought at the last minute before surgery came in handy. The hospital was great. They really take care of you in there. My husband said I was better getting out of bed the first time than he was. It didn't really hurt that much, and I knew I had to get up and walk around, for a lot of reasons. It was nice having a private room, but I have to say the staff was in and out of my room all the time, checking on something. They don't leave anything to chance in there! I was one of the luckier ones and got to go home the following morning (noonish) as I was able to do everything required to be discharged. I was even off fluids by 9 am in the morning. This all kind of surprised me as I had a rough time when I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago. It is nothing like that, I was so happy when I felt so much better. The only thing that is a little challenge, besides the water intake, is the coughing, oh my god that hurts. I haven't really had a good cough just enough to bring up some flem that seems to accumulate, I discovered putting pressure on the mid section helps, but it still hurts...I'm looking forward to that becoming less of a challenge. So now it's just healing and getting use to a new way of eating. So far I'm not hungry, so it's not a problem at the moment. Tomorrow is soft protein, so that will be kind of interesting. My husband is around and watching me like a hawk, I finally sent him out to play golf. I think I can survive for 4 hours while he's gone! Anyway, it's all good, and I'm just happy to be on the other side now in this great journey to a healthier way of living. Talk to you all later....
jenniebr
on 1/29/07 3:24 am - queen creek, AZ
Hey Carole!! I am glad to see you hanging there! That shoulder pain is the pits! If you need anything just let me know! I can swing by with a SF popsicle and some golf balls for the hubby! Take care and keep us posted! Jen
carolem
on 1/29/07 7:25 am - Austin , TX
Thanks, Jen....
Nicole W.
on 1/29/07 3:35 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Carole, I had one of the pillows that you use on the planes with me at all times. It has those little tiny beads in it... Target and Walmart sell them. It was easy enought to carry around if I went out or for the car... but I held that against me when I coughed. Helped things so much. Sneezing can hurt too! I had problems with water intake also. I found taking my 4 16oz water bottles out each day and using an average size cup filled with ice helped me get my water in each day. Feel Better! ~Nicole
carolem
on 1/29/07 7:28 am - Austin , TX
Good idea about the pillow, I have only big ones, when my hubby lets me out of the house I'll have to get one. I know Thursday I have a post-op class, so maybe..... I tried the ice chips last night. I usually drink a lot of water, seems like now that I need to drink a certain amount, it's a real effort! I love the hiccups! Thanks for the advice.....
(deactivated member)
on 1/29/07 9:12 am - avondale, AZ
Hey Carol, Glad you are feeling better. I go to post op class tomorrow and can not wait for soft proteins. Mentally I am still SOOO hungry. I popped in to see you before I left on Friday, but you had just come up from surgery and were still pretty groggy. I know what you mean about the hospital staff, we only get sleep for eight hours and they are in all the time doing something. Oh well, for are well being im sure. Take care, let's talk soon. Danielle
Most Active