RNY Post-Ops... a question

Nicole W.
on 1/28/07 12:52 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
How many calories do you consume in a day? This was a topic of conversation at one of our support meetings at SBC and I was curious of how many calories other post-op patients take in daily? Especially those that are further out now. Thanks!
M. clarke
on 1/28/07 12:53 pm
Hmmm.. that is a good question Nicole. I think I am around 400 calories a day. What did people say at the meeting?
Nicole W.
on 1/28/07 1:08 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
It varied... since it was the 1 month post-op class also and some of the people that were there were probably taking in 300-500/day. I am probably taking in 500/day if I were to actually count them. But I am curious to see RNY's that are further out.
Arizona_Sun
on 1/28/07 10:20 pm - Gilbert, AZ
I am probably atypical of a post-op. I am over three years post-op, never reached goal for several health related reasons, and have an ongoing problem with low blood sugar. In order for me to keep my protein levels up and to avoid hypoglycemic events the lowest that I can go each day with calories is 1700. I manage to maintain my weight at that level. It is incredibly important to incorporate exercise into your program while you are in the honeymoon phase if your health allows, mine did not. Also, to avoid grazing on those extra small calories that we do not think about sometimes. The DIET word is indeed part of our lives forever for most of us. Sandy
Nicole W.
on 1/29/07 5:18 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Sandy, I understand the importance of exercise, since my life has gotten a bit busier in the last few weeks, I noticed the scale not moving as much. So this week I rec-committed back to walking 45 minutes a day and going back to curves 3 times a week! It does make a BIG difference. I also have to remember, even thou I can eat some old foods again, not to make it a habit. I must stop the boredom eating, even thou it is healthy eating like yogurt or cheese... 10 months from now it can be what I had before surgery... mac n cheese and chips! Thanks for the reply!
Darlene X
on 1/28/07 10:58 pm - Maricopa, AZ
I am a little over 10 months post-op. I calculate my calories daily. I aim for 800-1000 and am within that range most days.... but for example today I am at 1100 calories, because Im not making a normal healthy dinner--- we are having friends over and are having chicken enchiladas, darn that cheese & corn tortilla LOL
Nicole W.
on 1/29/07 5:20 am - Cave Creek, AZ
I am probably at 500-700 right now... if that. I was focusing so much on getting my protein in I never really counted calories. It is amazing how how those 1000 calories can fill us up now... prior to surgery I was probably eating close to 3000-4000 with all the fast food I ate! I tried a chicken chimichanga last week, it was SO good. I love mexican food.
Most Active