Joyce any more info on pain meds?

M. clarke
on 1/27/07 12:46 pm
Joyce. Did you find anything more out on how pain meds digest for the RNY? I would love to know if you find out as I take them on somewhat of a regular basis. And I have found they haven't worked as well since my surgery also. Could be it is just time to up the dosage (although I hate to do that). I am wondering if like you said I should start taking half every two hours. I have to cut them in half anyways to take them. Webmedic? Do you remember reading anything about pill digestion other then vitamins in your research? There were some earlier posts regarding how medication, mainly pain pills digest after the RNY. It was thought that they pass through before they fully digest. Maybe you could lend some insight if you remember seeing anything on that. If not I have seen some place on this site where doctors have come in an answered questions. Does anyone know where we might post that question to have a doctor answer it?
(deactivated member)
on 1/28/07 12:56 am - Phoenix, AZ
Can bypass patients take NSAIDs? I'm thinking not but I don't know for sure. If you can take NSAIDs you can take Toradol SL tabs, they dissolve under your tongue and don't need to go through the GI system. Doesn't Tylenol have strips that do essentially the same thing?
Nicole W.
on 1/28/07 4:23 am - Cave Creek, AZ
post-ops should not take NSAID's... from what I was reading and what my PCP told me, they can cause ulcer's. My PCP did tell me eventually I will be able to take them as I am further out, but to hold off. I used them for my back pain as a pre-op and they worked better than narcotics for me. I have taken percocet or valium for my back during my Disney trip. They knocked my butt out so fast that I was asleep in a half hour! Now, I just need to go to my PCP for something to help me fall asleep at night.
M. clarke
on 1/28/07 4:53 am
Chunky thanks for the response. I am not sure what NSAIDs are? Is Toradol what they gave me in the hospital? If so I think I am allergic to it.
(deactivated member)
on 1/28/07 5:08 am - Phoenix, AZ
NSAIDs... drugs like Motrin, Aspirin, Toradol. They are verrrry effective but they are also hard on the stomach. I suspected they were not great for bypass patients (banded patients aren't supposed to take them) but I thought I'd ask. Sorry, not sure what they gave you in the hospital.
M. clarke
on 1/28/07 5:35 am
I thought Toradol was kinda standard for giving at the hospital today. Thats why i thought you might know. Not necessarily if was specifically what they gave to me LOL, but if that was the name of the medication that they commonly gave after surgery.
Nicole W.
on 1/28/07 6:07 am - Cave Creek, AZ
They gave me Toradol thru my IV the night of the surgery to help with inflammation... I think if its taken by mouth it can do a number on your pouch. But, hell what do I know!
M. clarke
on 1/28/07 6:09 am
Yes I think that is the stuff then. I'm sure if they gave it to you it was same for me. I was allergic to it they think I broke out in hives and itches in hospital. Might have been the morphin too. Who knows.
Nicole W.
on 1/28/07 6:16 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Yup, they were concerned about giving it to me also because I have a reaction to a different anti-inflammatory medication. So they wanted to know right away if I got the rapid heart beat and flushness with the it, but I had no problems with it. The Loratab... liquid vicodin made me sweat like crazy at night. I wanted to keep the door open all night, but I had a non-bariatric very ill patient next to me that was pretty loud. Too bad the windows didnt open!
M. clarke
on 1/28/07 6:20 am
I threw that loratab up. I swear I thought I tore out every staple when I threw up too. LOL. I even asked the nurse if I had it hurt so bad. Then they switched me to the pill.
Most Active