Back to thinking about the band

Cess
on 1/26/07 1:47 pm - Mesa, AZ
I had looked into it a little over a year ago. My insurance (BCBS) will not cover it. I have just started on the Hormone Diet (I am sure you have seen the ads - lose up to 40 pounds in 40 days...), but if it does not work for me, I think I will finance the surgery and go with SBC. I was reading the posts and I read one that said Dr. Blackstone was the only surgeon in her office? What happened to the other two surgeons? I reallly liked the one who was at the seminar I attended. Thank you so much.
dfavre
on 1/26/07 4:24 pm - Maricopa, AZ
It isn't a bad thing really. From what I understand, both went on to bigger opportunities. However, from reading the boards, it looks like Dr. Blackstone does have some new folks in the works. It just may be awhile before they perform to her standards. She is definately worth the wait though. I have looked at several doctors, and several facilities, and SBC and Dr. Blackstone are clearly the best so far. -Dawn
(deactivated member)
on 1/27/07 12:03 am - Phoenix, AZ
Talk to a LOT of doctors and interview all of them. Don't stick with one doc because they were nice, nice doesn't mean they are skilled. Nice means they are good hand holders and you are not looking for a hand holder, you are looking for a skilled and experienced surgeon. You will find a lot of varying opinions here but Dr. Blackstone is one of the last docs I would go to. I've taken care of some of her patients before and honestly, I just wouldn't go to her. I don't care for her skills and I don't care for the way she follows up patients that have complications. Perhaps someday when she has far more bands completed complication free she would be safer to go to, but now? Nope. Check out Terry Simpson. When I had it narrowed down to four docs, 2 were in Phoenix and 2 were in Mexico. Simpson is one and the other is just too expensive for private pay. ($30K minimum)
JRinAZ
on 1/27/07 3:46 am - Layton, UT
Simpson - Private Pay = $16,500.00 (that includes the lifetime education package and program fee, follow up with HIM (not assistants), support groups by HIM (not associates or peers), contact as needed via e-mail anytime with HIM (blackberry) and annual events hosted and covered by HIM. (Nope...I don't work there anymore !) (*winks*) 30 K might be the price for other surgeon's doing cash pay for Rny? Joyce
(deactivated member)
on 1/27/07 6:58 am - Phoenix, AZ
Joyce... Noooooo, not bypass. Mesa guy charges $30K+ for cash pay bands. 23 hours in their center after surgery. I laughed and hung up the phone. That's why I don't even bother trying to remember his name anymore. I wouldn't refer anyone to him at those fees. Nobody is that good.
M. clarke
on 1/27/07 8:02 am
Chunky I agree! That is outrageous. And that was for the band! Crazy!
M. clarke
on 1/27/07 8:00 am
30K? Wow. I would have hung up on someone charging that also! I don't remember how much I paid exactly but it wasn't 30k! I think they estimated me at 26,000 however my insurance picked my pre-surgery testing because I did it through my primary physician. Also I had prescription coverage. The shots alone would have cost $1500.00 after the surgery had my insurance not covered them. So even though they estimate at $26,000 it ended up being significantly less. The only part I didn't like about Shea is if you are out of pocket they have a set rate for the hospital whether you are there 2 days or 5 days it is the same cost. That doesn't seem fair, but I guess it would have been if I had stayed 5 days. LOL. After it was all said and done I didn't really pay the surgeon that much. It mostly went to the hospital.
JRinAZ
on 1/27/07 3:55 am - Layton, UT
Hey there Shelley R ! I've got some Holiday hangover I need to get rid of (hanging over the pants that are supposed to fit nicely! *winks*) .......What is the Hormone Diet? Does it conflict with any of our needs as Rny post-ops? Do you mind sharing some info??? Maybe a link? ....I'm always researching options to the happy land of Great Health!!!! Good luck with your decision. 30 pounds or 300 pounds - - all are a burden to our health and our self esteem but the difference in the # may determine which surgery would be best for you or even if surgery is necessary. In general, those of us who need to lose in excess of 200 pounds may want to opt for the distal bypass or the deudenol switch. Those who have 100 to 200 do well with the medial or proximal Rny or even the Lap Band. But, if you are in the marginal "overweight" category and have less than 100 pounds to lose but more than 30; then the Lap Band should be a perfect tool to help you get to your desired goal! Keep us posted and let us know how we can help! Hugggzzz, Joyce
Cess
on 1/27/07 5:50 am - Mesa, AZ
Sorry Joyce! I should have been more specific about the diet! It is 500-700 calories a day. 4 oz of protien twice a day and unlimited veggies with it. The types of protein and veggies are limited to a list. You can also have a fruit serving twice a day limited to berries, apples and oranges. You start out the day with a whey shake (I have a very hard time getting that down, still have the gag reflex from the RNY). Oh, with lunch and dinner you have a piece of melba toast. You get a B12 shot once a week. You also get two types of hormone creams to rub on the inside of your arm which are suppose to help with hunger and skin tone. As far as I can see, there would be no conflicts with WLS eating plans! Shelley
blueeyedgaal
on 2/1/07 2:43 am
I just had my lap band on Tuesday 1/30/07. I'm 2 days post op. I live here in Tucson. Cash pay for the band is 15,444.00. My Dr is Dr Monte Schwartz, and he is awsome! Carol
Most Active