Lap Band to Bypass?

WildLilly
on 1/26/07 5:22 am
Has anybody not been successful with Lap Band and gone to Gastric Bypass? I initially lost over 100# with the band...and it's a great tool; however, it isn't the one for me and my darned sweet tooth. :( Also...I know the pain I had after surgery with the band and am curious if the pain level might be lower with bypass because they're not messing around trying to sew in teh port. Just needing some help here. Thanks.
Darlene X
on 1/26/07 6:26 am - Maricopa, AZ
I know it can be done, and is done... But so you know, not all gastric bypass have an issue with sugar--- I have no issue's and can eat sugar like before surgery--- the same for my husband and quite a few people I know.... so going to gastric bypass won't cure your sweet tooth... just like the lap band.. it's up to you to make a life change...
MARY OTU
on 1/26/07 7:54 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Me too! No problem with sugar. I thought that I would have that tool to help me but I can eat sugar with NO problem. Too bad for me and Darlene. In fact today I had a couple of bites of creme brule; you know the burnt sugar on top of a creamy custard? To die for! But heck, its my Birthday so I can treat myself to a bite or two. Mary
Nicole W.
on 1/26/07 9:19 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Happy Birthday MARY!!!!
M. clarke
on 1/26/07 2:35 pm
As far as pain the RNY is more invasive then the Lap Band so I wouldn't count on it being less painful. I think if you had pain in the lapband you will likely have it on the RNY. Some people have little pain and some have lots. Just depends on how your body reacts and what medications you are previously on also. I personally thought it hurt. Others didn't. My physician told me the lapband would make me feel full but i could continue to eat and RNY I would have to stop eating. Please. At over 300 pounds you think "FULL" every stopped me from eating. LOL. That is why I chose the RNY. I figured i had one shot I wanted the one that was going to give me the most help. The downfall to the RNY is if you are a grazer or a snacker you can easily get around it by just eating slowly all day long. You have to follow the rules and stick to 3 meals a day or it will fail you also. It is still hard. You still have to exercise, and you still have to watch what you eat. You still have to have good eating habits. So I agree with the girls. You have a tool. You may need something more powerful but I would really consider it before having another surgery. I know food cravings or addiction is not easy to deal with. But the surgery isn't going to cure it. Even if you lose the weight it is likely you will put it back on if you don't deal with the food addiction, sugar addictions, or bad habits. You might consider a few sessions with a good counselor or therapist to deal with the sugar addiction first. That would be a lot cheaper, and less painful. And even if you decide to have the surgery after that at least you will have the emotional tools you need to deal with your sweet tooth.
(deactivated member)
on 1/27/07 12:08 am - Phoenix, AZ
Yes, what Melissa wrote!
WildLilly
on 1/29/07 1:39 am
Thanks for replies, all. Dr. Blackstone has suggested going to bypass as an option and that's why I was asking. Counseling...been there, done that...still doin that. But still haven't heard from anyone who's actually gone from band to bypass. Ah well. Thanks, anyway and good luck on YOUR journeys.
Most Active