Dr. Juarez, Dr. Fang, Dr. Simpson?

paulacohen
on 1/25/07 6:01 am
Hello to all, Brief background: I decided to have WLS last November, gathered all paperwork etc, attended seminar at SBC, ready to do initial consult, found out they won't take UHC after June 1st. Backtracked. Maybe this is a good thing. Did more research, etc., pretty much decided on LapBand vs. Bypass. Have seen info in here about Dr. Juarez, Dr. Fang and Dr. Simpson. Know that everybody generally loves (or hates...) their own surgeon (thank you Joyce for pointhat that out ) Going to a Dr. Simpson seminar tonight. Decided as long as "still deciding," should look at Juarez and Fang as well. Found out they have seminars at St. Luke's and Banner Good Sam. St. Luke's called Bridges I guess (and I'm sure this is all "old hat" to many of you, but it was new to me). Question: What's difference between St. Luke's and Good Sam programs? Pros/cons/opinions/thoughts about any of these three doctors and their programs? I did sign up for seminars at both St. Luke and Good Sam - necessary??? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darlene X
on 1/25/07 6:26 am - Maricopa, AZ
I don't think there is any difference between the Good Sam & St Lukes seminar-- you don't need both--- they just do surgery from either location. I love Dr Fang, of course Im biased cause he was my surgeon, my husbands & 2 sister in laws' surgeon. Dr Juarez is extremely talented, but a little serious-- so some people find him a little unpersonable. Ive met Dr Simpson once, know a few of the girls that work for him.. he is also excellent... and while I am biased and love Dr Fang to death--- if your going for Lap Band I think Dr Simspon is your best choice-- he has a very detailed and excellent program, he focuses only on lap band so you will get that specilized care you need--- Bridges does more RNY surgeries, and is great for that.
pwrightt
on 1/25/07 8:18 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I love Dr.Juarez. I am 4 weeks post op no complications. But like Darlene pointed out Dr. Juarez is extremly talented but is serious and very quiet. He will however sit and answer every question you have. He is very serious about the risk. But I do believe Dr.Juarez does more bypass surgeries then Lap Band. So I agree with Darlene. While I too am very biased and think the world of Dr.Juarez- Dr. Simpson might be a better choice. What I understand is Dr.Simpson has an excellent LapBand program and his patients seem to love him. Dr. Blackstone also does the Lap Band so you might want to also check on that. Whomever you pick you need to very be confident in your choice. This is a major decision and I wish you the best. OH on the subject of Good Sam and St. Luke the seminars are the same.
horizontallychallenged
on 1/25/07 11:17 am
Dr. Juarez was my surgeon, I liked him a lot. I'm in the medical field and I must have asked the right things because he was very open, laughing and friendly with me. He met my special requests and I felt very secure with him. I had a girl in my pre-surgery classes that had a lap band that she had removed and was now getting rny surgery. The band wore into the outside of her stomach and wore a hole into it. I don't know details or any more about the band, you might want to check into that risk. As far as the two hospitals ... I went to Banner, the pre-surgery courses are probably pretty much the same but the actual hospitals are very, very different. I would advise you to check out the two hospitals prior to picking the one you have your surgery in.
pwrightt
on 1/25/07 9:45 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
HI Paula: Web Medic is totally right when she stated Banner and St.Luke are very very different. Same seminar but the hospitals themselves are different. The hospital is a very important choice so check into that.
paulacohen
on 1/26/07 4:33 am
Thank you to all who have replied - you are a wealth of information! Hubby and I went to the Dr. Simpson seminar last night, was pretty good, very personable, I did feel a little bit like he talked about ways to finance the surgery a bit more than the surgery itself, but hubby didn't get that impression... Question: he said he did surgeries at Maryvale and at the "hospital" (forget exact name) next door to his office. Gotta tell ya - didn't look like a hospital to me, looked like an office building! (from the outside anyway). For those of you who had Dr. Simpson, where did you have your surgery, likes/dislikes?? Thanks!!!!!! Paula
pwrightt
on 1/26/07 5:19 am - PHOENIX, AZ
HI Paula: I posted earlier and thought maybe Dr.Simpson might be better since he is knows for LapBand surgery. But today I had to see Dr.Juarez for a check up and there were 3 people sitting next to me having the LapBand. So I assume Dr.Juarez may be doing more of this type of surgery then before. Just wanted to let you know. Pam
Darlene X
on 1/26/07 5:24 am - Maricopa, AZ
I don't know where he does his surgeries--- but have you gone to his forum? on his website there is a forum, you could ask some questions there. Lap Band is most often not covered by insurance--- so he probably does focus a little more on financing options during his seminar... a lot of his patients will be looking at self pay and that is information they need.
Stephanie W.
on 1/26/07 6:37 am - Peoria, AZ
It's an outpatient surgery center. He does the majority of his surgeries at Maryvale though. I had a wonderful experience at Maryvale. If you don't feel comfortable with the outpatient center, you can request Maryvale. That's the thing about Dr. Simpson. He's there to cater to your needs, make you feel comfortable, and he and his staff will bend over backwards to help you in any way they can. He's the best lapband surgeon in the world, of course, I'm probably a little biased. Stephanie
Maureen O.
on 1/26/07 8:37 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi Paula, I had my back surgery done at that hospital by his office. Yes, it is a hospital and they were very nice to me. You are talking about the one on 19th & Maryland? Yes? I have my date set with Dr. Blackstone but if it falls through for some reason I will go to Dr. Simpson. I did have an appointment with him set for yesterday but since Dr. Blackstone's office finally secheduled me for March 8th I decided to stay with her. I hope this doesn't create a problem for me when she stops accepting UHC insurance, since that is what I have. I was told I would just have to pay more out of pocket since she won't be in network. Keep me informed on how you like him as I may still go to him. Thanks, Maureen
Most Active