New to the boards

Garrett N.
on 1/22/07 3:49 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Well, this is my first time posting although I have been using this site for many years now. I just received my approval letter in the mail today so I am rather excited. Just waiting now to get the appointment date for the surgery although was told to expect it to be sometime next month I hate waiting... but I guess the end result will make the wait well wourth while.
pwrightt
on 1/22/07 8:33 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Hi Garrett: Welcome to the board. A month waiting!!!!!!!!! That is nothing. You will see how the time flies by. During this time you will have to get in clearances, pre op classes, and whatever else Dr.Juarez will require. Each patient is different. So fasten on your seat belt and get ready for the ride. Good luck on your new and exciting journey Pam
Garrett N.
on 1/23/07 10:58 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hey Pam was wondering I am assuming you went through the bridges center at St. Luke. So perhaps you can answer this question for me. Getting all the clearances wont be an issue, but its the classes I am having trouble with, the next one from what I have been told isnt until feburary 20th, Do you know of any sooner or is that the only one going?
pwrightt
on 1/23/07 12:29 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
Call Jenal at 602-251-8828. If you are having your surgery at St.Lukes they want you to attend least 2 classes which you can do in 1 day. The classes are really informative. Then you will also attend a class prior to surgery (within a week) To be honest I forgot when the classes were. But I thought they had 2 each month. Don't forget you will need a physch clearance also. That is mandatory. Like Carol said get all of your clearances done ASAP. This way if something comes up you have plenty of time to get all your testing in. Good luck Pam
Garrett N.
on 1/23/07 3:56 pm - Phoenix, AZ
ya I have the appointment to get the psych clearance done, as well as the cardio/pulmonary clearance those both will be done next week. Its just those classes that might hold things up a tad but we will get it done regardless.
carolem
on 1/23/07 6:59 am - Austin , TX
Don't Whine Garrett, I started this process last July! My original surgery date was Nov 29t, then they decided they needed a couple more tests and had to order a CPAP for me. Now my surgery is this Friday, so I'm excited to finally get it done. When they tell you what all tests you need, my advice is to not let the doctor's put your appointment off, get them done ASAP in case something comes up that requires further tests, you don't want to run out of time and have to be re-scheduled. My husband had his last Nov and is doing so well. He's had his 2nd fill today, we're both LAP-BAND. He's lost over 50 lbs and several pant sizes. So congratulations on your approval and learn to be patient!!! It will be here before you realize it!
M. clarke
on 1/23/07 8:02 am
Carole! I am so glad you have your surgery date of Friday. FINALLY!
Maureen O.
on 1/24/07 10:04 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi Carole, Is your CPAP for sleep apena? I have one also but I haven't been using it and they told me if I don't use it Dr. B won't do the surgery. Did you have to have a sleep study done? Mine was 2 years ago and I hope they don't make me do another one. The place I had mine done at is no longer around because they have been indicted on federal health care fraud. Now I have to find a new place where I can get my supplies from and was told to try Comprehensive Sleep Solutions. Anyway, I was just wondering if they made you have a sleep study before surgery and where you had it done. Thanks, Maureen
carolem
on 1/25/07 1:32 am - Austin , TX
Yes I have moderate sleep apnea. Having another sleep study might show you don't need a CPAP, did anyone explain why you need one? THey told me even tho mine is moderate and will probably go away after significant weight reduction, it's needed because of the risk factors to stoke and heart attack. Sleep Apnea is hard on your heart and when diagnosed shouldn't be ignored. I would suggest your doc have you do another one, I like Arete Sleep Health, but for supplies you can contact Advanced Respiratory Therapy at 866-396-2287. There are many different types now, mine is a nasal (pillows) I think it's called, it doesn't cover your face, and mine has a humidifier with it and a feature that allows the pressure to increase gradually over about a 1/2 hour. You will need to bring the CPAP the day of surgery as they put it on you in recovery. They don't want you to stop breathing in there! You'll find this out in your pre-op class. Good Luck, Maureen....
M. clarke
on 1/23/07 8:00 am
Garrett - Congrats on getting your approval letter! I know it seems a long time to wait. I think mine was 2 months out when I finally got to the point of scheduling the surgery and I felt at that time it was forever. I think everyone feels its forever no matter how long it is out. It is all part of being nervous and actually getting that surgery date. I think the time will fly for you though! It did for me. It actually seemed to fast when the date actually got there. It sounds like you have been considering the process for a long time if you have been visiting the site for years. It is funny how many people consider this for so long. I considered it for a week. Then started the process. I've always been compulsive that way. LOL. It was a great decision though! I am 12 weeks out and 75 pounds down. And in just month you will be on the "losing side" as they put in on this site Congrats again! And hope to see more posts from you as you progress!
Most Active