Can't get enough protein

Renee9999
on 1/19/07 8:37 am
So far I have dumped on any protein drink I've tried and I also dump on any dairy or dairy like products. I am in the pureed stage. I eat beans etc. but a couple of oz of that doesn' t come near the goal of 70 grams. Is it too soon for me to try to reach that goal? Renee Paczesny
pwrightt
on 1/19/07 9:08 am - PHOENIX, AZ
HI Renee:I to am in the puree stage. My surgery was Dec. 27th. I started out ok with Lactose free milk but now even that makes me sick. Milk is one product that seems to give a lot of people trouble. Are you making your protein drinks with milk? If so change to water. I went to vitalady.com and ordered a bunch of samples. I've finally found one that is tolerable. Right now I am getting in at least 60 grams a day. If you continue to have trouble call the Bridges Support since your surgery was with Dr. Juarez. Call 602-251-8828 and ask for Jenel.
JRinAZ
on 1/19/07 11:19 am - Layton, UT
Hi there Renee! You CAN get the protein grams that you need but you have to be at it consistently throughout the day. Some helps to get you past the dumpy stage with protein drinks.... 1. Select blends instead of isolates. Some of us can NOT tolerate the pure isolates. 2. Mix with water and NOT milk. Milk just adds more calories, more carbs and definitely messes with those of us who have the lactose issues as post-ops. 3. Do NOT take in more than 30 protein grams per nutritional intake. Our body cannot absorb more than that at once. The rest is wasted calories and just hits the fat zones or goes down the potty! 4. Try drinking a little warm water and then waiting about 15 minutes to drink your proteins. Sometimes the warmth just sooths the swollen surgical area so it doesn' spasm. 5. Buy some "Any Whey" protein mix. It is basically flavorless and can be stirred into anything you eat, i.e. your beans, mashed potatoes, soups, etc. 1 scoop adds an additional 17 grams of protein. ....Though the flavor is not changed, it does give a bit of a coloring difference like a coffee creamer would....and some things thin down with it for some reason. It's great for stir-ins though. 6. Try making a hot chocolate out of your choc protein. Temper the scoop with warm tap water first and then add your boiling water to taste. It can be flavored with Torani sugar free syrup (Davinnci also makes s/f syrups). I put a shot of choc and a shot of caramel in my hot protein drink. 7. If you have a Magic Bullett then you can add 1 scoop of chocolate with the cup full of crushed ice and maybe a shot of sugar free choc syrup. Whirl for 3 seconds and it tastes thick and smooth like a Wendy's choc frosty. It goes down nicely with a baby spoon. Hope these ideas help a bit! ....Good luck and hang in there....it gets sooooo much easier! Huggggzzz, Joyce
Nicole W.
on 1/19/07 11:53 am - Cave Creek, AZ
3. Do NOT take in more than 30 protein grams per nutritional intake. Our body cannot absorb more than that at once. The rest is wasted calories and just hits the fat zones or goes down the potty! VERY interesting... I didn't know that!
M. clarke
on 1/19/07 3:28 pm
i didn't know that about the 30 grams either. Isn't there like 40 proteins in a bottle of isopure? They advertise that their product absorbs into the body within 15 minutes. Are they the exception or lieing?
JRinAZ
on 1/20/07 12:39 am - Layton, UT
Melissa, The 30 grams is a general rule for everyone nutritionally. Many gyms and such will promote products that will give you tons of protein grams at one time. ......The 30 gram guideline is given by the ASBS and most Bariatric Nutritionists/Dieticians. The exception is those folks who work out big time. They might "possibly" be able to absorb more. The trick for good protein absorption is to spread it out evenly throughout the day. Protein provides satiety which keeps the Grazing Monster at bay! If we try to get 3 protein drinks in per day then we should easily reach the 100 gram daily target with the protein of food that may be absorbed. Programs vary as to their daily targets but the ASBS and O.H. recommend 100 grams minimum; more if you are ill or working out. That was a long way of saying that Isopure is great but the extra may or may not be absorbed. The worst that would happen is that you absorb extra calories and slough off the extra protein grams. hope that helps Joyce
alligatorpgr
on 1/20/07 2:15 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Thanks for the info Joyce Alli
M. clarke
on 1/20/07 4:00 am
Renee I couldn't drink anything that was milky or thick at first without getting sick either. I stick mainly to isopure. It is still a milk product but the way it is produced its something in the way they produce it so that it is not thick like normal drinks. Also if you are really desperate to get in your proteins profect is like 25 grams in a little vile. 3 oz. It is really pretty bad. I tired them all. I ended up ordering the melon one. I just plug my nose and get them down. They taste bad, but the 3 oz vs 20 oz drink is worth it to me. Good luck getting in all of your proteins. I'm 2 months out and I haven't reached the 70 grams either. So far all my checkups have been fine so I'm not too concerned.
pwrightt
on 1/20/07 8:55 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Joyce: I second what Allie said. Thank you for the info. Right now I am getting in about 60 grams a day. 30 on each drink. That's about all I can get in for now. Pam
JRinAZ
on 1/20/07 10:29 am - Layton, UT
Weigh 2 go Pam! You'll find it easier to raise that number up as you get further out. I think there is a lot of mystery with post-ops as to why we really need to take protein supplements. It's never about our immediate labs and well being but more about "future" check-ups. Protein absorption is questionable with the Rny and protein helps with energy, strength, health, muscle, etc. When burn patients are in their intense recovery; they actually have to have in excess of 200 grams of protein a day to rebuild tissue. I've been protein loading this past week cuz I have a big surgery on Monday. It's served me well in the past and medical staff is usually amazed at the quick recovery. .......One of my favorite stories from O.H. was posted by a man a couple of years ago. He could NOT tolerate the taste of the multiple protein products that he tried; no matter how he mixed them. Soooooo....he finally worked a deal with himself to use it as medicine. He said he did NOT like insulin shots when he had them, he did NOT like taking nyquil when he was congested, etc. But....he did what he had to for his health. ....So, he mixed his scoop of protein with just enough water to moisten it and then just downed it as quickly as possible 3 to 5 times a day!!!! He just gave up trying to like it and changed it's frame of reference from "drink or shake" to "necessary medicine"..... His story inspired me to take "protein needs" seriously and to get it however I had to! .... Good thing I've learned to enjoy it. I actually look forward to my morning hot protein drink! Hugggzzz to you and kudos for following your program! Joyce
Most Active