Incision is getting infected

E. Parnell
on 1/13/07 11:45 am - Safford, AZ
I had laparascopic surgery and one of my 5 incisions is oozing and bleeding off & on. It's in a horrible spot- right where my waist line is and every time I bend over (finally being able to after my surgery) I feel like it rips... it also hurts. I think it may be infected and don't know what to do. Has anyone else had this problem? I put some neosporin over it with a bandaid overnight and when I went to take a shower around noon it was nasty looking. Thing is- my medical tape/stiches are still on it just fine... Can someone please help?
Nicole W.
on 1/13/07 1:04 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi! Ok, the nursing student in me comes out... Don't cover it... let the air get to it. Putting neosporin on it just lets the infection build up. If you feel its getting worse, definately go to the ER. Is it swollen and really red? Does it hurt to touch? If so, you may have an abcess... an infection under the skin and you will have to go to the ER or wait to call your surgeons office on Tuesday. But, maybe call your surgeon and see if the person on call can give you more info. You might want to go to the drug store and get a product called HepiClens, its in the blue bottle, its about $11.00 It's an antiseptic that the hospitals use to clean the skin and to scrub in with. I used it on my incisions and I used it when I had a staph infection. It kills all bacteria on the skin. Only use a little bit, as it goes a long way. ... leave it on the skin for about 10-15 seconds and move it around with your bare hand and rinse off. I hope you feel better!
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 1/14/07 3:39 am - Tucson, AZ
I had this same problem with the same spot. I went to my PCP and had him check it out. They said it was okay just taking longer to heal because of where it was. I did put a bandaid on it during the day and when I got home from work I put something loose on and no bandaid. I also cleaned it with peroxide. It healed up about a week later.
Most Active