Protien Suppliments

ChrisOR520
on 1/12/07 2:32 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hi I was wonder what kinda protein powder you guys are taking and if you can recommend a good tasting one. So far Ive been using the liquid isopure. I bought a big container of the powered isopure but am affriad to open if and then turn out its nasty and i wasted 55 dollarss. Thanks
Nicole W.
on 1/12/07 3:24 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Try and get small samples of protein supplements and try them before opening up a $55.00 can or get a smaller can if possible. I did the Zero Carb Isopure for one and couldn't tolerate it anymore. I now use Worldwide Protein Shakes, they come in a can in Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla and Banana Cream. Sam's Club sells Myloplex... both kinds are good. And have about 35-40grams of protein in them. You will just have to try different kinds until you find the one you like. Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/07 11:28 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I never did find a clear shake that I could tolerate for the first two weeks but starting week #3 I finally started using Atkins pre-mix shakes. One thing I have discovered is that (again, for ME) the more protein per shake the less I can stand it. Atkins is 15gms per can. That's my limit. I don't mind Atkins at all but I have spent a bloody fortune on other brands that are just disgusting.
pwrightt
on 1/12/07 11:40 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
HI Christopher: Don't buy any more big bottles till you find one you like. Your taste may change after surgery. I went to vitalady.com and purchased numerous samples. So glad I did. I too spent about $45 on a big bottle and I can't stand it. For me samples were the answer till I found a couple I could tolerate. Pam
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 1/12/07 11:57 pm - Tucson, AZ
I finally found one that I love. It is Protein Delight and you can research it on www.bariatriceating.com. It is also available in samples for $1.75 each. I recommend this site for protein and other great products.
M. clarke
on 1/13/07 1:55 am
I know the container your talking about. Unfortunatly they don't sell them any smaller. I bought one of those too in vanilla. It was a waste of money, and did not taste like vanilla to me. No matter what i mixed it with it was just nasty. Maybe if you have the chocolate or strawberry it will be better. I don't know. I would recommend just buying a couple of the regular single isopures even though per ounce they end up costing more. Maybe one in each flavor. Like a grape, pineapple, orange..ect...(or what ever other protein you can find) that way after your surgery you will have a variety and know better what you will like. I found what I thought was going to taste okay before the surgery I didn't like after.
JRinAZ
on 1/13/07 12:00 pm - Layton, UT
Hi Christopher. I'd suggest going for samples before buying big. I loved the options available on www.vitalady.com She is a weight loss surgery veteran herself and only recommends the stuff that is proven to be tastey and appropriate for us. Also, Susan Marie's sight has some samples ....bariatriceating.com If you're able to go to a Nutrition Warehouse (only found in Phoenix area) then you can get a discount (just tell the guy that you are a WL patient) and they know the needs of the post-ops.....they'll recommend proteins and they have samples that you can buy. Steve is the owner and is wonderful in helping WL patients out. If you're hunting for the "right stuff".....know that the best proteins will be "whey" proteins versus "soy". While soy is a healthy food, it is NOT a complete protein and the soy products generally taste nastier than the whey. Look for a ratio of about 23 grams of protein to 120 calories max per scoop/serving. Many protein drinks taste delicious but the calories are sky high for the number of protein grams. The very best ratio available on the market is the Nectar products by Syntrax. They are 23 grams of protein per only 90 calories and are yummy yummy! ....My hubby's favorite is the Fuzzy Navel which tastes similar to Sunny D breakfast juice. Be careful with the Nectar's though if you are extra sensitive to dumping or have an ulcer or acid reflux. The Nextar's are "pure isolate" which is excellent product but not handles well by everyone. ... My body does best (and my taste buds) on protein "blends". My favorite is the Matrix chocolate. I make it like a hot chocolate and add a shot of Torani sugar free peppermint and sugar free chocolate.......OR sugar free caramel. some protein mixes to stay away from: any of the canned proteins that taste like milkishakes. Those are just high caloric drinks!.......also, a protein mix that many health stores push called Muscle Milk. That stuff is to die for good but the number of calories will hurt our efforts in the long run. My hubby actually lost below his goal weight after his surgery and had to drink the Muscle Milk shakes til he got back in his healthy zone. Any protein drink/shake is better than none at all though so go for samples til you find the one that works for you! Good luck and Kudos to you for taking in good protein supplements! Joyce
Chaplain
on 1/16/07 5:00 am - Panama City, FL
I purchased a jar of protein powder that is suppose to be natural tasting, but when I mixed it in some food it turn it a little bit sweet. It wasn't bad tasting, but wasn't what I expected. Although I only spent about $15.00 dollars for the whole thing if it doesn't turn out I haven't lost much. I would take yours back and get something a little *****eaper.
Most Active