Update on me - Long

CK777
on 1/12/07 12:49 am - Avondale, AZ
I guess I'll start with starting back to my surgery date of 11/21/06. Everything went as good as expected and I was released from the hospital on Thanksgiving. I don't remember much about that day but I do know by Saturday afternoon I went to a couple stores (like Walgreens and Best Buy - not crowded ones). I have never been one to sit still and the surgery wasn't going to stall me either. I walk everyday since surgery, usually around my neighborhood. I really wanted to join all of you at the Holiday gathering but life is crazy, I have temporary custody of my grandson and I try to get him to bed by 8:00, as he has to get up early for preschool - like 5:30am as my husband drops him off on his way to work. At Christmas my family went to Disneyworld (first time there) and guess who ended up getting sick? Yes, me!! We had 4 day hopper passes and on the second evening my throat was killing me and the next day I had to leave the park after one show (Beauty & the Beast). My daughter (18yrs old) stayed at the park with my grandson and my in-laws but my husband and I went back to the resort where I started freezing so I knew I was running a fever. It got to the point where I couldn't swallow so I was worried that I would become dehydrated so I called SBC and they said I should go get checked out to make sure I wouldn't get dehydrated. Off to the ER for me and they confirmed that I had strep throat and gave me a shot of penicillin and two bags of fluids. The next day I tried to go back out the park (Princess Breakfast and couldn't even eat a bite) but I couldn't make it so it was back to the hotel for me! Only 2 days at Disney for me, Epcot and Animal Kingdom. I am down about 44 lbs in 7 weeks and have had a few issues with vomiting but only when I eat chicken or turkey. I swear I am NEVER going to eat either of them again once I can have other foods. I know why they want us to eat them but if almost everyone has issues with them then how much good can they be doing us if we can't keep them down? I get my protein supplement in (usually gagging it), get my water in and try to eat 3 meals a day - I am usually just not hungry though. I definitely need some different ideas for cooking chicken. If anyone has any recipes (with what Dr. Blacksone's plan allows us to have at 2 months out) please post them! January 2nd was my first day back to work as I took FMLA - disability, vacation and one week personal time off. It is so much easier to follow all this at home (vitamins, protein, exercise), wish I could take at least 6 months off to get this journey off to a good start. I hope to be at the support meeting on the 18th but I really wi**** were closer to home! So I'm back and hope to be more active on the boards and I want to wish everyone luck as they become losers! Cathy
CINABOBINA
on 1/12/07 1:14 am
Cathy Your doing great ! I too had problems with chicken - the best for me is the chicken at Filberto's - try the Filly chicken salad with no chips - it will last you a few meals - unless you share with the hubby ! keep up the great work - it gets easier as time goes on . As far as meetings, try some of the other ones closer to your area !
Randi D.
on 1/12/07 1:35 am - Peoria, AZ
Cathy, Chicken and Turkey so early out can cause problems. I wasn't able to eat chicken without a problem until I was 6 months out. I ate other things until then. I love steak, chicken, turkey, roastbeef, and any meat that's lean. Everything is trial and error at this point, but it is well worth the journey. Randi
Nicole W.
on 1/12/07 4:27 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Cathy, I was just thinking about you... you are doing GREAT!!!! Congrats on your weight loss, you are doing awesome! My family and I went to Disneyland for this past Christmas. 3 days before my trip, I had my second stricture stretched. I refused to be unable to eat for another holiday! I am so sorry you had strep... that stinks! Anyway, chicken and turkey are rough for the first 2 months. I am finally getting to the point where I have no problems with it. So for a while I was eating alot of seafood and different things like quiche. It seems to me that chicken from the Outback works best for me... it is very tender and moist. I make chicken cutlets also, using some bread crumbs (they didn't bug me) and cooked them in some Olive Oil. What kind of protein supplement are you using? There are many out there that are somewhat better than the powdered stuff. I use the Worldwide Protein Drinks from Sprouts and Myloplex from Sam's Club. I still not hungry... Just hungry is my head because I know I should have eaten. Definately try and come to support groups at SBC, I know its a trip for you, but they really do help... especially for those of us in this time frame of 1-4 months. Because it does suck! I have noticed around 9-10 weeks things seems to change alot, food goes down easier, less restriction discomfort... seems like the pouch is adapting. Keep in touch and keep up the good work you are doing GREAT! ~Nicole
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/07 4:35 am - Phoenix, AZ
What is it about bypass that makes food hard to eat? I thought it was simply a matter of a smaller stomach and less intestine. What causes people to vomit chicken or turkey? I have a band so that I understand, bypass I don't. Would anyone shed some light? Thx.
Nicole W.
on 1/12/07 4:42 am - Cave Creek, AZ
After surgery, you have to treat your pouch as a baby... it has just gone through major cutting and is pretty vunerable and sensitive. As for me with chicken and turkey, you have to chew all your food to death... after 20-30 chews the meat gets extremely dry and nasty and I think that is why people get sick on it. I also got sick on it alot because I had strictures. But this kind of stuff does pass and gets better with time.
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/07 4:49 am - Phoenix, AZ
Banded folks have to chew the same way. I just can't do meat, it's gross after that many chews. I start gagging. I learned another lesson recently in case this applies to anyone else. I have been doing fantastic on my food choices. I am really pleased. Well, after the holidays I decided to try some French Silk pie. I just wanted a couple of bites. GAHHHH! It was horrible! Since it has to sit in my mouth until all the bubbles of air are gone it turned into something that tasted like liquid chocolate flavored butter. It was repulsive. I'm over French Silk Pie now. I'm over meat, Chocolate pie, eggs, and pasta. Blech... Oh... and bread. Yick.
JRinAZ
on 1/12/07 4:56 am - Layton, UT
Cathy, It seems you just got all the nasty stuff out of the way first thing! Now you'll have nothing but great moments ahead as a LOSER!!!! Be healthy and keep the focus on those supplements. The food is not as big of an issue and will come along with time.....and all too soon actually! .... Don't worry about forcing down some chicken. If it doesn't work for you now then give it up for a while and try again. My hubby and I found that anything simmered or stewed was doable but anything grilled or roasted made us run to the "facility" in a hurry. Wish you were on the East side of town so we could enjoy getting to know you in person at a Chandler supoprt meeting. Maybe you could make the long drive sometime just for fun?? Congrats on your weight loss and on your great attitude! Hugggzzz, Joyce
alligatorpgr
on 1/12/07 8:37 am - PHOENIX, AZ
It's good to hear from you, and I'm glad you're doing better Alli
Most Active